X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Great!
    All of us mono fans let's shout out "We need more mono crap!"
    Why we need specifically mono crap? We need for sure more and better programs but I don't understand why to belong to a specific framework or toolkit?

Anyway, I always found the work of mono developers a pure mazochism. I mean is a thing to spend your time developing for a small community like the FOSS one, but to develop something that divides this small target even more is idiocy. For sure they can find other and more welcome alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Why we need specifically mono crap? We need for sure more and better programs but I don't understand why to belong to a specific framework or toolkit?
      Exactly. We don't need it at all. Mono apps offer no single real advantage over other Linux apps. Let's take Gnote which is consuming less memory, starts faster and doesn't depend on 50MB or so mono crap. The same about Shotwell compared to f-spot. F-spot just sucks while Shotwell is very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        I don't know why BlackStar loves all this Microsoft tech so much (if he isn't trolling that is...), but if he wants FLOSS Windows then maybe ReactOS is more his thing. (realy) No pun intended.
        Maybe from the same reason novell loves MS tech so much.

Comment

Stereo FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
            Stereo FTW!
            Hahaha

(stupid 10 characters limit)

Comment

They should stop their mono crap already.

What's the deal with it anyway?

All those stupid mono-boosters are being (indirectly) payed by Microsoft. Plus there are some confused idiots who aren't getting payed.

Not everybody likes to have MS tech pushed down their throat.

Please let Mono die and focus on more useful stuff.
              e.g. Java, All kinds of VM's, Lua, Python,...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Mono 2.8 Is Out With C# 4.0, Better Performance

While many in the open-source community do not like Mono on their system as a Microsoft .NET implementation for Linux (and other operating systems), for those interested in this C# compiler and run-time library, Mono 2.8 is now available for download. Mono 2.8 offers up a large number of improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODY1Nw
                While Mono 2.8 no doubt does offer improvements over previous versions of Mono ... please bear in mind that (as mentioned in the original article) Mono for Linux includes an implementation of ASP.NET technology.

Now Microsoft has submitted C# as a standard, and also a number of other parts of .NET, and made promises not to sue any other implementation of such technologies.

However, be aware that there is NO SUCH PROMISE for other parts of .NET, such as ASP.NET, which are strictly Microsoft proprietary technology.

License: Proprietary

Mono has an implementation of ASP.NET within it. Mono is therefore an open invitation for Microsoft to try to collect royalties from Linux systems.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
                  While Mono 2.8 no doubt does offer improvements over previous versions of Mono ... please bear in mind that (as mentioned in the original article) Mono for Linux includes an implementation of ASP.NET technology.

Now Microsoft has submitted C# as a standard, and also a number of other parts of .NET, and made promises not to sue any other implementation of such technologies.

However, be aware that there is NO SUCH PROMISE for other parts of .NET, such as ASP.NET, which are strictly Microsoft proprietary technology.

License: Proprietary

Mono has an implementation of ASP.NET within it. Mono is therefore an open invitation for Microsoft to try to collect royalties from Linux systems.
                  Gosh, I thought we could put this tired trollfood to rest already. For maybe the millionth time, here are some facts:

1. I'm not aware of a single Linux app developed with Mono that uses ASP.NET or other proprietary MS technologies that are outside of the scope of the promise not to sue. Should Microsoft decide to start enforcing patents over them at some point, they could be safely removed from Mono without affecting Linux-oriented development in the slightest. You probably can build and install Mono without them already.

2. Mono, without ASP.NET but with Gtk# and other stuff is a rather cool development platform for Linux/Gnome. Not the only one, but a damn good one. I would be interested in hearing what those Mono bashers suggest. Before somebody says Python or Ruby, these are excellent languages for certain application areas but remain absolutely unusable in other cases due to very poor runtime performance, very bad multithreading support (GIL), comparatively bad garbage collectors, etc.

3. I defend Mono because there are some really good apps made with it (personally I absolutely love Banshee, Tomboy is a lot more stable and has more features than Gnote, Monodevelop is a pretty decent IDE, etc) Insisting that they should be removed from distros and ostracised today because of the entirely hypothetical possibility that at some unspecified point in the future, Microsoft might try to enforce patents on some technology that they don't even depend on, is ridiculous. Incidentally, all the various JVM implementations and Java frameworks and libraries don't seem to worry anyone, and yet, while AFAIK nobody is getting sued over CLR or Mono, Oracle is suing Google over Java right now.

4. I presume that the anti-Mono crowd will never ever ever install the Linux kernel either. The kernel supposedly violates over 120 Microsoft patents (which is probably a lot more than the number of ASP.NET patents) and Microsoft has explicitly said they might consider enforcing those, contrary to the Mono ones.

Comment

mono will get the same traction as java got...almost nothing on the desktop. I also refuse to let mono apps anywhere near any of my systems, just like with java. Please run on the system provided, not some VM. I'm not into middle men or empty promises about "write once run everywhere"

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      2. Mono, without ASP.NET but with Gtk# and other stuff is a rather cool development platform for Linux/Gnome. Not the only one, but a damn good one. I would be interested in hearing what those Mono bashers suggest. Before somebody says Python or Ruby, these are excellent languages for certain application areas but remain absolutely unusable in other cases due to very poor runtime performance, very bad multithreading support (GIL), comparatively bad garbage collectors, etc.
                      Simply, Qt. Much better runtime performance, great multithreading support and much more. Consistency etc.

3. I defend Mono because there are some really good apps made with it (personally I absolutely love Banshee, Tomboy is a lot more stable and has more features than Gnote, Monodevelop is a pretty decent IDE, etc) Insisting that they should be removed from distros and ostracised today because of the entirely hypothetical possibility that at some unspecified point in the future, Microsoft might try to enforce patents on some technology that they don't even depend on, is ridiculous. Incidentally, all the various JVM implementations and Java frameworks and libraries don't seem to worry anyone, and yet, while AFAIK nobody is getting sued over CLR or Mono, Oracle is suing Google over Java right now.
                      Yeah, keeping damn thing for ONE dumb and crappy application. This is just ridiculous. If you use tomboy, because it's more stable (I really doubt, because Gnote seems to be very stable and it's slimmer and faster same time) and has more features then why don't you switch to KDE where there are more features then in Gnome? Oracle is suing them, because they violated some term. Stop spreading FUD. Probably nobody's getting sued over CLR or Mono, because nearly nobody uses this crap.

4. I presume that the anti-Mono crowd will never ever ever install the Linux kernel either. The kernel supposedly violates over 120 Microsoft patents (which is probably a lot more than the number of ASP.NET patents) and Microsoft has explicitly said they might consider enforcing those, contrary to the Mono ones.
                      Get the hell out with such ms bullshit out of here. Better check how many patents ms breaks. And Linux is here to compete with ms not to serve them.

Comment

Working...
                      X