Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Releases MeeGo-based Smeegol Linux

Phoronix: openSUSE Releases MeeGo-based Smeegol Linux

The openSUSE Goblin Team, which was originally formed to bring the latest Moblin innovations into the openSUSE world and now are focusing upon pulling in MeeGo innovations after Moblin and Maemo merged, has a new announcement. This openSUSE team is now announcing the first public release of Smeegol, which combines MeeGo with openSUSE into one netbook-designed Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best name ever

Comment

Let me guess. The name comes from abreviating Suse Meego Linux. Anyone tried this yet? Are the boot times and performance/battery life similar to openSUSE or Meego?

Comment

Awesome name . I bet it was unintentional, but still awesome.

Comment

Great name!!

Comment

Of course the name was intentional it is the Suse Goblin Team after all!

Comment

On an eMachines eM250 (Acer Aspire D250 clone):
              - MeeGo shell became very choppy after connecting to wireless network,
              - a LOT of non-skinned, ugly Gnome applications.
              I'd rather wait for vanilla MeeGo 1.1 than install this thing...

Comment

Originally posted by ferreira View Post
                - MeeGo shell became very choppy after connecting to wireless network,
                - a LOT of non-skinned, ugly Gnome applications.
                On a Eee PC1000H it also has some performance issues. It just doesn't seem as smooth and snappy as pure Meego. Switching between zones sometimes is really slow and sometimes it's acceptable. It also hangs when activating an external screen, and sometimes the screen config applet simply doesn't do anything. Very erratic behaviour. It's a shame since I like the idea of the Meego interface with the app base of openSuse. And those ugly gnome apps really stand out, although everything else is rather nice.

Comment

Working...
                X