Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.5.2 Is Here

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.5.2 Is Here

It's that time of the month for another update to the KDE Software Compilation. The October point release to KDE SC 4.5 brings a variety of bug-fixes to KWin, Dolphin, and KSharedDataCache, among other KDE packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fail Software Compilation.

This software is unusable on most of the machines do to the unoptimized, slow, memory hungry code. It was such a pain on my laptop for the last few months, there's no word to describe it. Still has a stupid long logout and startup, plus disk grindage everywhere. Simple thing like launching kwrite requires serious disk grindage.

I should be quiet now I guess, back to BFS scheduler, fluxbox, and my 5400RPM laptop disk but yet 80MB/s read rate, sorry for the rage .

Comment

Who cares. It's awesome, stable and very fast here. And that's enough for me

Comment

Best KDE ever

I waited more than 10 years to have a perfect desktop like this one!

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post

This software is unusable on most of the machines do to the unoptimized, slow, memory hungry code. It was such a pain on my laptop for the last few months, there's no word to describe it. Still has a stupid long logout and startup, plus disk grindage everywhere. Simple thing like launching kwrite requires serious disk grindage.

I should be quiet now I guess, back to BFS scheduler, fluxbox, and my 5400RPM laptop disk but yet 80MB/s read rate, sorry for the rage .
          Fix your computer. Most apps open almost instantly for me and memory usage beats the pants off Windows 7 (not saying much, but still). Even on my older laptop, it runs fine. Only big complaint I have is that KWin is still inefficient with in OpenGL mode. Compiz runs just fine, but KWin is sluggish, albeit more consistent in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Best KDE ever

I waited more than 10 years to have a perfect desktop like this one!
            You could have used GNOME...

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post

KDE apps start faster then Gnome apps. Compare your ubuntu memory usage to Kubuntu and explain me, why ubuntu uses more then 800MB after while? Unoptimized, slow and memory hungry code is present on ubuntu, it's called dumb C hacks, python everywhere and mono. What bfs has something to what you wrote earlier? Oh, it was some kind of brain fuck for the moment I guess.

You could have used GNOME...
              Maybe in next ten years it become feature rich and usable as KDE is now.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman
                KDE apps start faster then Gnome apps.
                I've tried both KDE and Gnome installs on Gentoo and that's absolutely not the case for me. Regardless of which DE I'm in, equivalent KDE apps take maybe 3 times longer to start, and use a lot more memory.

KDE itself also takes quite a while to get going.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingfeather View Post
                  I've tried both KDE and Gnome installs on Gentoo and that's absolutely not the case for me. Regardless of which DE I'm in, equivalent KDE apps take maybe 3 times longer to start, and use a lot more memory.
                  Just curious what apps were you using?

That's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingfeather View Post
                    What's your rig? Have you tried preload? Due to cashing load times are totaly redundant

True. But init startup times are drasticaly decreasing so overal total OS load time with KDE is getting smaller and smaller every six months or so.

And KDE is kind of like a massive weighting object; takes long to get it up to speed, but when it's at that speed, the object has so much momentum that it's hard to slow down. I'm reffering to cashing and shared resources and much more effective resource management than other DE's

As usual KDE is faster on newer hardware and slower on older hardware. Speed Vs. load

Comment

Working...
                    X