ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    I was told by some that I'd have a similar experience to you and to take no notice of what others were saying. Unfortunately I do have problems with fglrx.
    Who told you that shit?

Change the card for a fermi, and use the perfect nvidia blob. You should find a lot of windows users interested on that change. Why you continue using ATI if it creates that amount of pain to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Who told you that shit?
      The quotes are somewhere here in these very forums.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Change the card for a fermi, and use the perfect nvidia blob. You should find a lot of windows users interested on that change. Why you continue using ATI if it creates that amount of pain to you?
      Believe me if nVidia made reasonably priced triple head cards I would in the blink of an eye.

Comment

So for single or dual screens, nVidia all the way.

For more than two Linux users are stuck with either ATI or the even worse alternative of Xinerama.

It doesn't look like Xinerama's a big priority with the Xorg devs though.

I don't really get why Windows users would find that interesting though.

Comment

Specifically, Windows 7 does multi-card desktops properly and Linux doesn't.

So yes, depending on how long fglrx is borked it might in the long run pay for me to switch to Windows. I hope to not have to though.

Comment

I'd have to agree with the critics. The whole article has a negative bias against ATI all over it. Seriously I thought it was a guest article written by Panix. Also I'm not sure why you are recommending the proprietary driver over the open source driver for HTPC usage.

Comment

As someone who does not define their soul by associating to either Nvidia or ATI, I find this article to be very upfront and honest, not biased. Very interesting results, and very timely. The only thing I would love to see is power consumption under load vs idle. That would very nicely round up the review for me.
              Thanks for all the hard work and for providing great information.

Comment

There's more to an HTPC than being able to simply play back video.

How well does it resume/suspend via hardware alarm? My DVR powers down until it is either woken via network, an input device or a realtime clock event several minutes before it needs to record a show. I know previous incarnations of both ATI and NV drivers had trouble with either the suspend or resume. How are they with current hardware?

How well does the software/hardware stack support 7.1 audio via HDMI?

And last but not least, non-native games. Yes, we all know there are 2 or 3 Linux games. But I find myself playing far more DirectX titles through Wine than native Linux games. Needs to be covered.

Like several other users I have both ATI and NV hardware from several generations in service. For rudimentary 2D usage with no power management either fglr or open source is fine. For a power user fglrx is broken in too many common cases and open source still needs a year or sixty to mature. NV's got a decade head start on ATI when it comes to binary blob drivers on Linux, and it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  I'd have to agree with the critics. The whole article has a negative bias against ATI all over it. Seriously I thought it was a guest article written by Panix. Also I'm not sure why you are recommending the proprietary driver over the open source driver for HTPC usage.
                  Ah, you're a good detective. I tied up Michael and hacked his account. In my defence, though, there was a Nvidia employee holding me up at gunpoint. I'm really sorry.

Where is the bias in the article? I'm sure if more tests were done, everyday tasks, you'd uncover more issues.

2D issues seem to remain that are provoking questions:

video playback acceleration via XvBA still buggy....

Random crashes here and there with 3D including when using Google Earth?

Typical complaints on the Ubuntu Forums regarding general usage of Evergreen cards.

The only complaint I can see you justified in having is that the tests were using Catalyst 10.8 (not 10.9) and it seems the general consensus is that Catalyst 10.10 is at least showing some fixed bugs and is the preferred driver right now although not released yet.

Comment

So, that is another illustration besides Ubuntu and Fedora. Another distro. Another failure.

So, with the open source fanatics, you still can't use a card released a year ago. I am not even saying that is a complaint (I concede, it takes time for developers and especially when they abandon it to the community) but that the post also illustrates a trend over many distros of this consensus: buggy BINARY DRIVERS and lacking features (including dual monitors). However, everything is hunky dory in Windows! So, even over a year, ATI/AMD refuses to deliver a workable binary driver that is utilizing a Windows tweak anyway. This is the standard and why ATI is more Windows friendly than Nvidia.

Comment

Meanwhile you waste all your time on phoronix forums bashing ati drivers, you should spend sometime reading a little. The main functionality for evergreen was introduced during the last month, you need git drivers, 2.6.36 kernel (or even better drm next kernel).

If you don't know how it works, ask, read... but please don't share your ignorance this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X