No announcement yet.

Dual Head semi-working, but not usable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Head semi-working, but not usable.

I installed Fedora 13 with the fglrx (10.9) drivers, and after finding out the dual head configuration in the control center didn't work at all, I ran this command:
    Code:
    aticonfig --initial=dual-head --screen-layout=left --xinerama=on
    After rebooting, I do actually have "dual screen", but the non-primary screen only displays black. I can move my mouse to it, and I can see my the cursor, but if I put a window there I can't see it.

I'm using fglrx 10.x from RPMFusion and kernel 2.6.34.7.
    What kind of crazy bug is this.

it's a bug in your desktop environment for failing to use the second screen

There are two ways for multiscreen support:

a) multiple separate X screens. Each screen can have it's own depth, vsync can work for each screen separately etc. Downside: you can't move windows between the screens.

b) a single X screen that spans multiple monitors. Dragging windows across monitors is simple, your desktop environment should be smart enough to use all available space etc.

aticonfig --initial=dual-head configures the first variant. To use the second, try configuring xorg.conf for a single-head config, then use xrandr to activate the second monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      it's a bug in your desktop environment for failing to use the second screen

There are two ways for multiscreen support:

a) multiple separate X screens. Each screen can have it's own depth, vsync can work for each screen separately etc. Downside: you can't move windows between the screens.

b) a single X screen that spans multiple monitors. Dragging windows across monitors is simple, your desktop environment should be smart enough to use all available space etc.

aticonfig --initial=dual-head configures the first variant. To use the second, try configuring xorg.conf for a single-head config, then use xrandr to activate the second monitor.
      I'm using XFCE. When I installed Fedora and it was using the open source drivers I did have working dual screen without any additional configuration, so I know XFCE is capable of it.

I could try out Gnome, but I still suspect fglrx is going to be a problem.

Comment

No. The problem is that you've configured fglrx to use option a), while the OSS drivers default to option b). As said, configure fglrx to option b) and it'll work.

Comment

I used aticonfig --initial and rebooted. And when I try to use xrandr like you suggested I get:

Code:
          user@fedorabox ~]$ xrandr
          Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
          RandR extension missing

Comment

I know it works for me. I suspect there's still something wrong with your xorg.conf. Can you pastebin it?

Comment

Sounds like xrandr was disabled via aticonfig at some point with:

Code:
              aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"
              Try to enable it with:

Code:
              aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,TRUE"
              And then restart X.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                I know it works for me. I suspect there's still something wrong with your xorg.conf. Can you pastebin it?
                Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

You still have two screen sections. Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rerun 'aticonfig --initial' because that's definitely not an initial xorg.conf file.

Adam

Comment

Removed the old xorg.conf and reran aticonfig and xrandr works now.

Code:
                    [user@fedorabox ~]$ xrandr --output CRT1 --auto --left-of DFP1
                    xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1680x1050 (desired size 2960x1050)
                    I tried adding a "Virtual 2960 1050" line to my xorg.conf but all that does is put my main screen at 1400x1050 (instead of 1680) with a max resolution of 1600x1600.

Comment

Working...
                    X