Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.4 Adds New Features, Supports ARM

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.4 Adds New Features, Supports ARM

With the latest bi-weekly development snapshot of Wine, the v1.3.4 release brings a variety of noteworthy changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ARM?

Wait a minute.. ARM? So.. I could see starcraft 1 running on linux based (eg N900) mobile phones? sweet!

AcceptEx is also pretty sweet, I always had to use a patched wine to be able to host games in Warcraft 3.

<3 wine

Comment

Nope, winelib is used for compiling applications against Wine. It means that apps won't run right away without recompilation.

Comment

Are there are well known examples of winelib actually being used? The only one I can think of is the The Sims. For anything that's actually open source, it makes more sense to do a proper port.

Comment

Yeah, winelib eases porting of windows applications to linux by providing windows APIs on linux, but you still have to compile them to ARM.

But, to run wine on ARM, qemu-usermode probably can do it.

The problem is that puny ARM processors probably don't have enough power to emulate the extremely irregular and complex x86 architecture (they don't call it a CISC for nothing).

Comment

"The Wine library now supporting the ARM architecture is good for those interested in wanting to run Windows applications on your ARM-based netbooks"

Does that sound wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              Are there are well known examples of winelib actually being used? The only one I can think of is the The Sims. For anything that's actually open source, it makes more sense to do a proper port.
              Picasa uses winelib.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                "The Wine library now supporting the ARM architecture is good for those interested in wanting to run Windows applications on your ARM-based netbooks"

Does that sound wrong?
                Yes. It's misleading. It certainly is not going to lead to x86 binaries running on ARM netbooks. At most it can potentially provide some source compatibility with Windows x86 software.

Comment

Maybe it's a precursor to a WineCE?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelimion View Post
                    Maybe it's a precursor to a WineCE?
                    That's what I was thinking - soon we'll have Meego (maybe even Android) running apps from the various mobile Windows versions

Comment

Working...
                    X