Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R600 Classic Mesa 7.9 Performance

Phoronix: ATI R600 Classic Mesa 7.9 Performance

As we have talked about in numerous articles now and delivered various benchmarks for different graphics processors from those using a classic Mesa DRI driver to the newer NVIDIA/ATI hardware with Gallium3D support, Mesa 7.9 brings a lot to the table. There are many new features to be found in Mesa 7.9 for all drivers, but in this article, we are specifically looking to see how the OpenGL performance of the classic R600 driver has changed compared to Mesa 7.7 and Mesa 7.8.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good God, it's incredibile, there are no regressions!
    We should be very happy just for that...

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
      Good God, it's incredibile, there are no regressions!
      We should be very happy just for that...
      OMG

[stupid character limit. edit time sucks too]
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

These graphs are remarkably flat, which means that there is a resolution-independent bottleneck somewhere, and it is significant.

Were these tests done with or without colour tiling? It was not available in Mesa 7.8, and is in 7.9 if I'm not mistaken, and it makes a huge difference in OpenArena.

Comment

last paragraph says that he plans on re-testing with 2.6.36, which is needed for tiling.

About warsow: it'd be interesting to see if warsow takes different render paths on newer gl versions or if those are actually speed improvements in mesa. Can you hack mesa-7.9 to advertise only gl-1.5 extensions and see if it's still faster than 7.7.1?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            if I'm not mistaken, and it makes a huge difference in OpenArena.
            Absolutely YES: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26220
            ## VGA ##

Comment

By the way: 58fps @1920x1200 with a 4870 in openarena? My 3870 does 70fps WITHOUT color tiling with very high quality settings @2560x1600!
              ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                last paragraph says that he plans on re-testing with 2.6.36, which is needed for tiling.

About warsow: it'd be interesting to see if warsow takes different render paths on newer gl versions or if those are actually speed improvements in mesa. Can you hack mesa-7.9 to advertise only gl-1.5 extensions and see if it's still faster than 7.7.1?

I was wondering the same thing. I get the feeling that Warsow uses different OGL rendering extensions to the other game engines. If that is true, it would explain what has happened to the driver. My guess is that the driver has optimized some of those extensions that warsow depends on.

Comment

Benchmarks are nice, and we really appreciate the optimisation work, but in my opinion open source drivers' devs should target features and compatibility first, then speed. What i need is for the thing to work and be compatible with software, i don't care about fps so much. If i needed high performance 3d, i wouldn't use the opensource driver(or Linux at all...)

Comment

Maybe we will have someday better open source drivers for our Radeons than the properitary blob from AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X