No announcement yet.

Primal Carnage Says Goodbye To Unigine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
      I just got my money back, too, and I'm wondering how much of a dent all this paying back is going to do.
      How did you get your money back ? YOu just used the contact form on their website or contacted someone in particular ?

Comment

Disappointed

Sounds like they have a new publisher that doesn't care to release the game on linux. I don't know how they could supposedly be this far along in the development and be able to swich game engines without a chunk of cash behind them.

Having met them at GDC I have to say I'm disappointed. The unigine code is very well documented and very high quality in my experience. I can understand if they are pushing console development because Unigine is very new to the consoles, and hasn't been approved by MS yet. But lack of support is BS when you have access to the code. I don't see why Unigine should have to pay for development of a port to xbox if they aren't being paid to do it. That is my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
          How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.
          Correct me if I'm wrong (probably) but I was under the impression you created your game for the Unigine Engine and if the Engine ran on your PC so would the game (with minor changes to installer and extra stuff) so did NOT have to create the game for separate platforms as much as instead of for Unigine?

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong (probably) but I was under the impression you created your game for the Unigine Engine and if the Engine ran on your PC so would the game (with minor changes to installer and extra stuff) so did NOT have to create the game for separate platforms as much as instead of for Unigine?
            That would be true however games aren't solely relying on said engine to perform everything that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
              That is mostly true of the game code itself. It is developed in Unigine script so that the game logic will run on all platforms with little more then debugging. However the installer, networking and other such things would have to be done per platform. Really it is mainly the debugging and optimization that takes time.

Comment

That's not the first game that switched to Unreal Engine, others did before like the commerical Nexuiz switched from Darkplaces to UE too. As there are no commerical console games using Darkplaces or Unigine it is very likely that they just want to rely on soemthing proven to work than on a work in progress engine. That will not give more Linux games of course that way... The current UE is most likely using too many 3rd party parts - or the parts that are used for online gaming are not that easy to make compatible between Win+Linux plattform - when you want to override libs for cheating thats even simpler with Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by moimael View Post
                  How did you get your money back ? YOu just used the contact form on their website or contacted someone in particular ?
                  Check out this post:

I just sent a PM so haven't yet gotten my money. I like this comment:

"It's funny to notice that between the 29th September (update release) and today, 7 new donators suddenly joined our ranks! ^^

You guys know what to do if you want to attract more donators! :mrgreen:"

And they know how to loose them too.

Comment

Not to forget one thing:

You can download and use UDK for free, just when you earn money you have to pay up to 25% to epic. I guess that's fair, compared to that the beginning costs for Unigine are too high, no free SDK. Also UDK is free for education use and so students may get used to it in university projects. This is the part of marketing Unigine still has to learn. A few nice benchmarks are not enough.

Comment

Reasons like this are why I never pre-order any thing.
                      I hope the Linux users who pre-ordered get refunded.

Comment

Working...
                      X