Poor SSD performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor SSD performance

I recently got an OCZ Vertex 2 60gb drive. I installed it, installed ubuntu 10.10 daily build from 23 or 24 September. It boots up blazingly fast. From the grub menu to a useable desktop takes about 9 seconds. (core 2 duo 9450 quad core @ 2.93ghz, 4gb ddr2 800)

The built in ubuntu disk utility benchmarks read speeds at 119 min, 243 avg, and 250 max MB/s. So... right on track.

But when I did the phoronix-test-suite benchmark disk-ssd, my results were horrible - http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...1656-6460-3238

Also... my 64k 8gb iozone test got 114 MB/s and the same drive benchmarked by phoronix got 207 MB/s...

I've tried the noatime, discard mount options, tried the noop scheduler. I haven't turned off journaling yet, but I didn't think phoronix did either.

hdparm shows trim support

Performance seems great for real world use, but one of the reasons I bought it was for benchmarking... (yeah yeah) and those are horrible dbench and sqlite results.

Any help would be appreciated!

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
    I recently got an OCZ Vertex 2 60gb drive. I installed it, installed ubuntu 10.10 daily build from 23 or 24 September. It boots up blazingly fast. From the grub menu to a useable desktop takes about 9 seconds. (core 2 duo 9450 quad core @ 2.93ghz, 4gb ddr2 800)

The built in ubuntu disk utility benchmarks read speeds at 119 min, 243 avg, and 250 max MB/s. So... right on track.

But when I did the phoronix-test-suite benchmark disk-ssd, my results were horrible - http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...1656-6460-3238

Also... my 64k 8gb iozone test got 114 MB/s and the same drive benchmarked by phoronix got 207 MB/s...

I've tried the noatime, discard mount options, tried the noop scheduler. I haven't turned off journaling yet, but I didn't think phoronix did either.

hdparm shows trim support

Performance seems great for real world use, but one of the reasons I bought it was for benchmarking... (yeah yeah) and those are horrible dbench and sqlite results.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Reran the disk utility benchmark with the noop scheduler (thought it was on last time, but I didn't reimplement the scheduler after a reboot)

Min: 182.3 MB/s
    Max: 273.0 MB/s
    Avg: 251.1 MB/s

Comment

Working...
    X