'Juddery' application windows after a new linux installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    What's wrong with being concerned about the install process?
    Nothing but your concern posts always seem to boil down to Nvidia is better than ATI. Please if you love Nvidia so much, there's a separate nvidia section on phoronix. And they have also their own forums.

Comment

Lol Panix, you started looking when HD4xxx were just out, HD6xxx will be out in October.

Then you can either pick up a cheap HD5xxx, or continue with wondering why the drivers suck on HD6xxx. I see where this is going

Comment

Great that the problem is solved. Although... kernel 2.6.9?? I had to read that number a few times, and then check the post date to make sure I was reading right. That's like from the Cretaceous period or something. It's a wonder that everything else works fine with such an old kernel.

@Armin fglrx only gives problems on the more recent kernels/X.org versions. It supports offially X.org 6.7 -> 7.5

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          If one uses Ubuntu 10.04 or Debian Testing/Sid, do you have to upgrade the kernel to use Evergreen cards? I read about users having to use 2.6.35 or even .36 kernels to use latest 10.10 Catalyst driver.
          I got a segfault when I upgraded fglrx to 8.780 from the x-swat ppa. Problem solved now that I upgraded Kubuntu to 10.10

This is with a HD4890 though, not an Evergreen

Comment

@Panix

The 5670 is definitely the worst choice for that you can buy... I have got one and thats no card for video playback...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Panix, you started looking when HD4xxx were just out, HD6xxx will be out in October.

Then you can either pick up a cheap HD5xxx, or continue with wondering why the drivers suck on HD6xxx. I see where this is going
              Before I was upgrading a card I already had. Now, I virtually have no card. I am currently using my laptop. I have an older legacy ATI card that I had loaned out but I'd rather use a more 'up-to-date' card.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @Panix

The 5670 is definitely the worst choice for that you can buy... I have got one and thats no card for video playback...

Then, which card is a decent choice for under $100?

I suppose GT 220/240??????

Comment

Then use your old ati card, because that can work with ati oss and that allows nice playback - just dont install fglrx.

Comment

Then use your old ati card, because that can work with ati oss and that allows nice playback - just dont install fglrx.
                  Yes, I know fglrx drivers are not supported for the particular ATI card I have - X300SE. I think it is RV370. I haven't used it for eons, though. I guess I will find out what performance/playback is like with it.

Comment

xv should be fine with it and gl fast enough for xbmc. I would expect less problems than when you wanted to use fglrx when your cpu is not at the limit with software decoding.

Comment

xv should be fine with it and gl fast enough for xbmc. I would expect less problems than when you wanted to use fglrx when your cpu is not at the limit with software decoding.
                      What about 3D and other?

The card needs to be able to run...

Inkscape, GIMP, Google-Earth, Cinelerra, and Blender to name a few...

That's in addition to the 2D video players and editors.

My laptop's card is a Radeon 9000 so how much better is the X300SE?

Comment

Working...
                      X