Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: 'Juddery' application windows after a new linux installation

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    What's wrong with being concerned about the install process?
    Nothing but your concern posts always seem to boil down to Nvidia is better than ATI. Please if you love Nvidia so much, there's a separate nvidia section on phoronix. And they have also their own forums.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,988

    Default

    Lol Panix, you started looking when HD4xxx were just out, HD6xxx will be out in October.

    Then you can either pick up a cheap HD5xxx, or continue with wondering why the drivers suck on HD6xxx. I see where this is going

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Great that the problem is solved. Although... kernel 2.6.9?? I had to read that number a few times, and then check the post date to make sure I was reading right. That's like from the Cretaceous period or something. It's a wonder that everything else works fine with such an old kernel.

    @Armin fglrx only gives problems on the more recent kernels/X.org versions. It supports offially X.org 6.7 -> 7.5

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    If one uses Ubuntu 10.04 or Debian Testing/Sid, do you have to upgrade the kernel to use Evergreen cards? I read about users having to use 2.6.35 or even .36 kernels to use latest 10.10 Catalyst driver.
    I got a segfault when I upgraded fglrx to 8.780 from the x-swat ppa. Problem solved now that I upgraded Kubuntu to 10.10

    This is with a HD4890 though, not an Evergreen

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    @Panix

    The 5670 is definitely the worst choice for that you can buy... I have got one and thats no card for video playback...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Panix, you started looking when HD4xxx were just out, HD6xxx will be out in October.

    Then you can either pick up a cheap HD5xxx, or continue with wondering why the drivers suck on HD6xxx. I see where this is going
    Before I was upgrading a card I already had. Now, I virtually have no card. I am currently using my laptop. I have an older legacy ATI card that I had loaned out but I'd rather use a more 'up-to-date' card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @Panix

    The 5670 is definitely the worst choice for that you can buy... I have got one and thats no card for video playback...


    Then, which card is a decent choice for under $100?

    I suppose GT 220/240??????

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Then use your old ati card, because that can work with ati oss and that allows nice playback - just dont install fglrx.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Then use your old ati card, because that can work with ati oss and that allows nice playback - just dont install fglrx.
    Yes, I know fglrx drivers are not supported for the particular ATI card I have - X300SE. I think it is RV370. I haven't used it for eons, though. I guess I will find out what performance/playback is like with it.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    xv should be fine with it and gl fast enough for xbmc. I would expect less problems than when you wanted to use fglrx when your cpu is not at the limit with software decoding.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    xv should be fine with it and gl fast enough for xbmc. I would expect less problems than when you wanted to use fglrx when your cpu is not at the limit with software decoding.
    What about 3D and other?

    The card needs to be able to run...

    Inkscape, GIMP, Google-Earth, Cinelerra, and Blender to name a few...

    That's in addition to the 2D video players and editors.

    My laptop's card is a Radeon 9000 so how much better is the X300SE?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •