'Juddery' application windows after a new linux installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Juddery' application windows after a new linux installation

I'm having a problem with application windows 'stuttering' when dragging them across the screen, they do not move as smoothly as they should after a new O/S installation.

I'm running the latest kernel 2.6.9-89.0.29.ELsmp on RHEL4, Update 8. My monitor is a 22" Iiyama ProLite B2206WS monitor and Radeon HD 4350 graphics card.

I've downloaded and installed the latest linux drivers (fglrx 6.8.0-8.771-1) from the ATI website. I removed the default xorg.conf file and run aticonfig --initial. I also tried both the DVI and D-SUB connections, but the 'juddering' problem still remains.

I've tried setting the V and H sync rates manually using aticonfig, and some other changes in the xorg.conf file but that just causes a kernel panic on reboot!

This is the default xorg.conf file generated by aticonfig:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

I'd appreciate any advice!

Ian

I can't tell you how to fix this problem, but I really must say that that is an ANCIENT distro you're using -- you really should consider an upgrade if at all possible. If its a support/licensing issue, it would probably be a better choice to forego the redhat support in favor of a free build of a newer version of RHEL, like CentOS 5.5.

Comment

The software my company uses hasn't been verified for RHEL6 yet, which is what we plan to move to, once it is launched.

Comment

Problem solved. I reinstalled the ATI driver and this time, instead of selecting:

Generate Distribution Specific Driver Package (i.e. an RPM)

I selected 'Install driver 8.771 on X Org 6.8.x' and all worked great after a reboot.

Comment

Nice that you solved the problem. I'm just wondering how you can stick to such an old version of RHEL and start installing the "newest" fglrx driver. Isn't there always a combination of OS + driver + application version that is certified? OK, at least a lot of certified software (CAD, FEM) I dealt with had this kind of thing.

However, the install scripts of the fglrx driver are bullshit, never seen that they work. :-) Kind of surprised that the generic one worked. For the distribution I use (Archlinux) you anyhow have to move the files by hand to the appropriate place. This is kind of strange since Archlinux in general follows the upstream-config methods and paths, so one would guess that a major driver like fglrx does the same.

Comment

If one uses Ubuntu 10.04 or Debian Testing/Sid, do you have to upgrade the kernel to use Evergreen cards? I read about users having to use 2.6.35 or even .36 kernels to use latest 10.10 Catalyst driver.

On the Ubuntu forums, there's a lot of ATI Evergreen card owners unable to use their card or having glaring issues such as 'black screen flickering' before playing video.

If xv or other video outputs are 'working', there seems to be apparent issues remaining. But, some 'ATI fans' are giving the impression there are fixes in the latest drivers. It's difficult to assess the situation with such an ambiguous commentary on the current state.

I wonder why ATI doesn't help support a better install script? Surely, that can't be hardest task to attain? There are third parties out there, people working on their own, who are coming up with decent script installs just on their own. Kano, here, does so much and look at smxi.org for another example. Yet, ATI with their resources, have the impression to have poor installers and give users fits with both installs and configuration requirements. You wonder why some users get frustrated.

I think the Nvidia installer is fairly straight forward although a PITA in its own way. But, the third party projects and individuals seem to do okay with them. ATI supports Ubuntu with no designation as to version but checking Ubuntu forums, one wouldn't reach that conclusion reading some of the posts. User error or a bit of both: user error and driver design??????

Comment

You don't have to upgrade the kernel, but of course i add needed patches for fglrx into my script to support the latest ones. You CAN use 2.6.36 but you don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                Yet, ATI with their resources, have the impression to have poor installers (...) I think the Nvidia installer is fairly straight forward
                Yes. ATI bad, NVidia good. Yawn!

Comment

Well the buildpkg option is really a good idea, thats missing in the nvidia installer. Without packages lucid+ usually breaks when pure installers are used - even with manual blacklisting. the ld.so.conf switching is just not good for this way to install.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    Yes. ATI bad, NVidia good. Yawn!
                    Well, I am looking at an ATI HD 5670 card if I can find one under $100. I'd want a DDR5 card, I think. I want a compromise, primarily for HTPC video playback with some capability for 3D. The HD 5670 is the 'first' or entry level DDR5 card, I think. Gimp and Cinelerra, some apps I wonder how the ATI card will perform with, to name a few.

What's wrong with being concerned about the install process? I don't want the headaches I'm reading about and although I'm not going to get a $300 card, a $100 card that is giving me issues is not something I want to give up on or resign to switching to Windows. Actually, my point is, I can easily accept info given if accurate so I can anticipate issues but I want to avoid 'surprises.'

Anyway, thanks to Kano for the info just provided!

Comment

Working...
                    X