Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Mesa 7.9 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Mesa 7.9 Benchmarks

With Mesa 7.9 just around the corner and it sporting a new GLSL compiler, support for new OpenGL extensions, and months worth of other changes to core Mesa and its drivers, we decided to run some benchmarks of the latest Intel Arrandale graphics processor with the past few Mesa releases to see how the performance compares. We also have ATI and Nouveau Mesa benchmarks on the way.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happy to see that 7.8 beats 7.7, waiting for the ATI/AMD statistics.

PS! It would be great if you could avoid using similar colours in graphs (red and green) as it's sometimes hard to differ these.

Interesting, if the latest ati r300 gallium really uses mesa 7.10, or -devel version implies the odd/even numbering versioning standard.
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RS600
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel

Comment

Originally posted by kersurk View Post
      Interesting, if the latest ati r300 gallium really uses mesa 7.10, or -devel version implies the odd/even numbering versioning standard.
      Code:
      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RS600
      OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel
      Yes, in ppa:xorg-edgers/radeon there's now daily code from Mesa 7.10 (main) branch.
      And r300g keeps getting better and better.
      It works great even with KDE 4.5.1 and it's desktop effects (althrough it needs to be forced to enable it because of driver blacklisting).
      Now, even blur works on my RV350!
      But there's a little problem with texture disapearing when blur is enabled (it could be triggered with Nexuiz and GLSL on my PC, too).
      Btw. Nexuiz performance on r300g with GLSL is simmilar to FGLRX!
      But I'd like to see an working option to disable vsync for games (without need to patch driver sources to disable it completely) so FPS would be even better, espessialy when using more details/effects.

Comment

Originally posted by kersurk View Post
        PS! It would be great if you could avoid using similar colours in graphs (red and green) as it's sometimes hard to differ these.
        I couldn't agree more. I can't distinguish red and green so I always need assistance from collegues to undersatnd Michael's charts. It would be kind to use different colors other than red and green since 7% of people suffer of red/green color blindness!

Comment

Do sth useful and check what commit regressed 7.9 performance. Was that GLSL merge? Sth else? Intel-specific? Mesa-specific?

Comment

And in the meantime kde 4.5's desktop effects don't work with intel and mesa 7.10-devel, even disabling blur and lanczos -.-
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Too bad, Windows results haven't been added to the article - to show that Intel Linux drivers still suck.

Comment

The intel drivers must be really bad. Comparing to the earlier results of testing mesa 7.4-7.9 this core i3 system only puts out twice as much FPS than the atom N270 + GMA950: that's bad. For comparision I tested openarena at 1024x768 on a Radeon HD4200 and got 125FPS (with fglrx). That's 3x the performance of the i3 with its IGP.

Comment

I'm more interested in seeing if the 7.9 drivers are more compatible with OpenGL than previous version, but that would be really difficult to show.

Comment

They should really start putting time/effort into a gallium driver...

Comment

Working...
                    X