Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Devs Have Mixed Feelings Over Direct3D In Gallium3D

Phoronix: Wine Devs Have Mixed Feelings Over Direct3D In Gallium3D

Two days ago we reported on Direct3D being natively implemented in Gallium3D that now allows Direct3D (the 3D portion of the DirectX API) to work on Linux via this advanced graphics driver architecture and unlike Wine's implementation it does not simply translate the calls to OpenGL. This has generated much interest among developers and end-users with there being more than 200 comments in our forums and plenty of discussion elsewhere too. However, some Wine developers seem to be in objection to this work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, the Wine devs don't want to use a feature that could make their software better?? What a shocker :P It's like they have some sort of deal with microsoft to insure that wine continues to suck.

Comment

I don't see why this would rattle Microsoft's cage anymore than Wine itself would.

Comment

I think there's simply fear due to it being Microsoft designed tech.

That's all there is too it. But before some people start drawing any hasty conclusions as to whether it should be thrown out of or not, let's check with some actual lawyers first?

Comment

+1, v!ncent

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            I don't see why this would rattle Microsoft's cage anymore than Wine itself would.
            I wonder that too. Could someone clarify why people believe that MS is OK with one D3D implementation (actually, an almost *full* DirectX one) in Wine, but not OK with the one in Gallium?

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed by the reaction of the wine devs on this. Don't know what to make of it. I hope they can work out any issues and will work together with Luca, because it's probably the only chance we have to not make wine suck on the open drivers. So I hope they think about that and, and not only about Nvidia blob and Apple.

Comment

Meanwhile, Luca has committed Wine DLLs that use this state tracker so that in fact Wine can now hook into Gallium3D for this Microsoft Direct3D acceleration on the GPU (or on the CPU if using LLVMpipe).
                Can anyone test this? Phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  I'm a bit disappointed by the reaction of the wine devs on this.
                  Aside from that I agree with you, you can't ignore that ReactOS had stopped for an audit for a long time due to this: http://marc.info/?l=ros-dev&m=118775346131642&w=2
                  I'm sure nobody wants that to happen with Wine. Wine is already playing catchup as it is...

Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.

Comment

I do know about what happened with ReactOS. But I at least get the impression that this implementation was built on the basis of what is a very public and well understood API, unlike the Windows internals. Could Luca comment on whether there was actually any reverse engineering involved?

Comment

Working...
                    X