Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing Evergreen_Accel with Ubuntu: Lucid or Maverick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Evergreen_Accel with Ubuntu: Lucid or Maverick?

I have an HD5450 (passive cooling) and would like to contribute to the evergreen_accel testing effort, and have both a live CD of Kubuntu Lucid, and Internet access to download dailies (and later builds, of course) of Ubuntu Maverick (I have today's daily currently installed + today's kernel from Kernel Mainline PPA + xorg-edgers and have blistering-fast 2D, but no 3D of course; no DRI either, darn it). Should I stay with Maverick for testing, or drop back to Lucid?

Also, should I continue to go with the latest kernel DEBs from Mainline?
    (Current is 2.6.36-999 dated today.)

You need at least kernel 2.6.36-rc5, it contains some important bug-fixes. Add xf86-video-ati from the evergreen_accel branch (from 4.sept. or newer) and a recent mesa git snapshot (the newer the better) and you'll have working 2d AND 3d.

I'm not sure if the underlying distribution matters much, as long as it includes a halfway recent X.org.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      You need at least kernel 2.6.36-rc5, it contains some important bug-fixes. Add xf86-video-ati from the evergreen_accel branch (from 4.sept. or newer) and a recent mesa git snapshot (the newer the better) and you'll have working 2d AND 3d.

I'm not sure if the underlying distribution matters much, as long as it includes a halfway recent X.org.
      Fortunately, I'm good there (Mesa is 7.10-devel and xf86-video-ati is less than a week old; both are from xorg-edgers and grabbed today) and the kernel is 2.6.36-999-generic (amd64, of course) dated today (downloaded from Kernel Mainline PPA this morning). KMS is working; right now, for some reason, I'm still using *software rendering* in Mesa (no 2D or 3D); however, I noticed that I had no xorg.conf, either (so I just built one using a similar setup from Gentoo as a base). Be back after a restart....

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
        Add xf86-video-ati from the evergreen_accel branch

[stupid 10 characters limit]
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

To really test Evergreen support you need the "Evergreen_accel" branch of xf86-video-ati and the drm-radeon-testing branch of the kernel. In addition if you check the other evergreen acceleration threads you will find a patch that makes it more stable.
          In short, you can use Lucid or Maverick as you will be need to replace the relevant components of both.

Comment

Working...
          X