help with multihead setup in xorg with radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with multihead setup in xorg with radeon

hi guyz, i have a radeon 4850x2 ehich have 4 dvi connectors, is possible to use 1 monitor per GPU (both same rez) without xinerama?

Xinerama wouldn't come into play when two monitors are on two GPUs. You'll have 1 xserver running per GPU.

Comment

mmm ok, i had that idea too, let me try to force kdm to initialize both xservers

Comment

You don't need to run two xservers for that, you can just run one xserver with 2 separate screens.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          You don't need to run two xservers for that, you can just run one xserver with 2 separate screens.
          TWO GPUs!!!!

Comment

Yes no problem. I'm using two different GPUs with one xserver myself, works fine.

Code:
            $ glxinfo 2>/dev/null|grep renderer
            OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (JUNIPER 68BE) 20090101  TCL DRI2
            OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RS780 9610) 20090101  TCL DRI2

Comment

Right... count the number of Xorg processes you have running.

Comment

Don't be stubborn. Like I said I have only one xserver running with two separate screens.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Yes no problem. I'm using two different GPUs with one xserver myself, works fine.

Code:
                  $ glxinfo 2>/dev/null|grep renderer
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (JUNIPER 68BE) 20090101  TCL DRI2
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RS780 9610) 20090101  TCL DRI2
                  nice, can you explain me how to try that configuration? i tried many methods but i couldn't get it like that

plz

Comment

I think what monraaf did was to create two Device and Screen sections in his xorg.conf, then join them with Xinerama.

If you want a big desktop with the ability to drag windows between screens, you need Xinerama if you have multiple GPUs.

You could also configure both as a single X server without Xinerama, using a single mouse/keyboard, but without the ability to drag windows across screen boundaries.

The third option is to configure two separate X servers, needing a separate mouse/keyboard for each and some multiseat hackery so they don't fight over the active VT.

You could forfeit one GPU and attach both monitors to the other; then you'd have a big desktop without Xinerama. For 2d and compositing that would probably be faster. Not for heavy 3d-apps (games) though.

Comment

Working...
                    X