No announcement yet.

help with multihead setup in xorg with radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a setup with the proprietary fglrx driver with two graphiccards (I think also 4850HD) and three monitors all in use with one big xinerama-desktop.

So it seems its also possible with the opensource driver? Thats cool. Could you post your xorg.conf somewhere or a short instruction what you did to achieve this?

Thanks!

Comment

the xorg.conf that worked with fglrx should work with the OSS drivers. Just change the "Driver" option.

Comment

Thanks, I will try.

I had problems with Ubuntu 10.04 it had a bug which prevented the use of multiple graphiccards. So I stayed with 9.10 - but this doesn't ship with recent drivers ofcourse.
        So I need to use 10.10. Does anyone now its state of multi-graphic-card use?

Comment

multi-card works with kms. However, if you enable xinerama to use a single logical desktop across multiple cards, you cannot use 3D acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            ... if you enable xinerama to use a single logical desktop across multiple cards, you cannot use 3D acceleration.
            Yeah thats fine here. I can live with that. Sometimes I miss the desktop effect but even MORE desktop space is much more worth than the small helpers available in kwin.

Thanks!

Comment

I wonder if you could use Chromium/DMX for this?

Comment

Wow, very neat idea. I hope I will find the time to try this out this weekend. I'll let you know!

Comment

Working...
                X