Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux DRM HDMI / DisplayPort Audio

Phoronix: Intel Linux DRM HDMI / DisplayPort Audio

While the open-source Radeon DRM/KMS (along with the closed-source Catalyst) drivers have had support for audio over HDMI / DisplayPort, patches are finally moving along by Intel's Zhenyu Wang for bringing up audio on Intel chipsets over these newest display interfaces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sweet. I have such a monitor, and i can't wait to get rid of another cable.

Comment

Am I missing something here? I already have a Core i3 530 working with HDMI audio/video together. This is connected to my TV, running Mythbuntu 10.10.

Comment

Well, at least I couldn't get it to work with DP. aplay -L only lists HDMI, but yeah, that seems to have been around for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
          Well, at least I couldn't get it to work with DP. aplay -L only lists HDMI, but yeah, that seems to have been around for a while.
          *shrug* in either case, it's good to hear that the DP support is incoming.

Comment

Aside from home theater / HTPC setups where you can eliminate cables by having everything going to the receiver and then only one going to the TV from it, instead of audio cables going to the receiver and video cables going to the TV, for other uses like a standard desktop this is going to be mostly pointless. Most monitors don't have speakers (and if they do they are usually horrible) and you're not eliminating any cables in a normal setup as you still would need two. Nice capability to have if you do need or want it though.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
              Am I missing something here? I already have a Core i3 530 working with HDMI audio/video together. This is connected to my TV, running Mythbuntu 10.10.
              Same for me.

It looks like this is linked to i3/i5 proc? compared to on-board intel graphic cards?

Tomm3h do you confirm that you can have 5.1? Is there a way to have True-HD?

Comment

Originally posted by XabiX View Post
                Same for me.

It looks like this is linked to i3/i5 proc? compared to on-board intel graphic cards?

Tomm3h do you confirm that you can have 5.1? Is there a way to have True-HD?
                I suppose maybe the article does refer to older, non-i3/i5 graphics. It's not clear from Michael's article. Michael, can you confirm why this is news?

XabiX, I seem to have 5.1 audio outputs, but only stereo speakers. I used '/usr/bin/speaker-test -t sine' to test my HDMI audio and it seemed to be playing to phantom channels (centre, rear, etc.) and they were quiet, because I had no speakers, but I think it works.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
                  I suppose maybe the article does refer to older, non-i3/i5 graphics. It's not clear from Michael's article. Michael, can you confirm why this is news?

XabiX, I seem to have 5.1 audio outputs, but only stereo speakers. I used '/usr/bin/speaker-test -t sine' to test my HDMI audio and it seemed to be playing to phantom channels (centre, rear, etc.) and they were quiet, because I had no speakers, but I think it works.
                  At least I can tell that the front left speaker works But I was not able to test the other ones with your cmd:

-s,--speaker test de chaque haut parleur. Valeurs 1=gauche, 2=droite, etc
                  -w,--wavfile Utilise le fichier WAV sp?cifi? comme test son
                  -W,--wavdir Sp?cifie le dossier contenant les fichiers WAV

Les formats d'?chantillonnage reconnus sont : S8 S16_LE S16_BE FLOAT_LE S32_LE S32_BE

xabix@xabix-desktop:~$ /usr/bin/speaker-test -t sine -s 1

speaker-test 1.0.22

Le p?riph?rique de lecture est default
                  Les param?tres du flux sont 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 canaux
                  La frequence sinuso?dale est de 440,0000Hz
                  Taux fix? ? 48000Hz (demand? 48000Hz)
                  Taille du tampon entre 192 et 2097152
                  Taille de la periode entre 64 et 699051
                  Utilisation du tampon maximal 2097152
                  P?riodes = 4
                  La dur?e de la p?riode ? ?t? d?finie= 524288
                  La taille du tampon ? ?t? d?finie = 2097152
                  - Avant Gauche
                  ^C
                  xabix@xabix-desktop:~$ /usr/bin/speaker-test -t sine -s 2

speaker-test 1.0.22

Param?tre invalide pour l'option -s.
                  xabix@xabix-desktop:~$ /usr/bin/speaker-test -t sine -s 3

speaker-test 1.0.22

Param?tre invalide pour l'option -s.
                  I don't know why but I can't access s 2 etc... without the s option, the sine is played several times on the same front left speaker. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by XabiX View Post
                    At least I can tell that the front left speaker works But I was not able to test the other ones with your cmd:

I don't know why but I can't access s 2 etc... without the s option, the sine is played several times on the same front left speaker. Strange.
                    Sorry XabiX, my command was a little wrong.

Here, try this one:

Code:
                    # speaker-test -t sine -c 5

speaker-test 1.0.22

Playback device is default
                    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 5 channels
                    Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
                    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
                    Buffer size range from 39 to 419430
                    Period size range from 12 to 139810
                    Using max buffer size 419428
                    Periods = 4
                    was set period_size = 104857
                    was set buffer_size = 419428
                     0 - Front Left
                     1 - Front Right
                     2 - Rear Left
                     3 - Rear Right
                     4 - Centre
                    Time per period = 12.850245
                    I was running as root, but I'm not sure you have to. Change '-c X' to 5, 6, 7, channels, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X