Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Demonstration At XDS 2010

Phoronix: Wayland Demonstration At XDS 2010
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What, no video?

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
      What, no video?
      Can't wait for the uploads ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Can't wait for the uploads ^^,
        Unfortunately the audio feed seems to be dead for most of the time. I do have other recordings from my laptop for some talks for those that may want to filter out my typing noise.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Unfortunately the audio feed seems to be dead for most of the time. I do have other recordings from my laptop for some talks for those that may want to filter out my typing noise.
          No audio is still better than no video. A lot of us probably just wanna see Wayland in action.

Comment

Can someone explain what exactly Wayland is? I read that is started in 2007 by Red Hat engineer, as replacement for X. Now it seems like it is some additional protocol to go with X. I suppose that is better idea than replacing X altogether, there are lot of thing that depend on X...

Is there any in-depth explanation of Wayland. how it works and how it interacts with X?

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
              Can someone explain what exactly Wayland is? I read that is started in 2007 by Red Hat engineer, as replacement for X. Now it seems like it is some additional protocol to go with X. I suppose that is better idea than replacing X altogether, there are lot of thing that depend on X...

Is there any in-depth explanation of Wayland. how it works and how it interacts with X?
              It can replace X, but it can also run X applications using a rootles X server and composite them together with the native Wayland apps. A bit like Mac OS X's window system - it doesn't need X but can provide the backward compatibility.

Comment

slim

Wayland would be the bare minimal network protocol for a modern GPU stack?
                I really have to look further into it.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                  Wayland would be the bare minimal network protocol for a modern GPU stack?
                  I really have to look further into it.
                  Wayland is X, stripped of all the old stuff, geared at the future, acting more or less as R&D in practise. It's not network oriented. To achieve network computing and 'legacy' compatibility it can use Xserver. It's much more abstract. Porting GTK/Qt has been discussed and porting GTK is in the works (or so I believe; news is scarce).

It started as a hobby project by a Red Hat employe. It's not realy that much of a hobby project anymore in the sense that Intel and Nokia are planning to use Wayland for Meamo; it's great for embedded systems.

There is the possibility that, over time, X.org will grow, but not fully, towards Wayland, due to Waylands 'new tech', where proven.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Wayland is X, stripped of all the old stuff, geared at the future, acting more or less as R&D in practise. It's not network oriented. To achieve network computing and 'legacy' compatibility it can use Xserver. It's much more abstract. Porting GTK/Qt has been discussed and porting GTK is in the works (or so I believe; news is scarce).

It started as a hobby project by a Red Hat employe. It's not realy that much of a hobby project anymore in the sense that Intel and Nokia are planning to use Wayland for Meamo; it's great for embedded systems.

There is the possibility that, over time, X.org will grow, but not fully, towards Wayland, due to Waylands 'new tech', where proven.
                    What are the differences between wayland and GTK/Clutter ported to use directly libdrm/gallium3d/libxkb?
                    If they want to use it for meego, it shall be C++/Qt (erk!), wouldn't it?
                    (I'm sad to see the C dependency swapped for a C++ dependency in meego)

Comment

Working...
                    X