Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In what linux distro ATI + Linux won't be tearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In what linux distro ATI + Linux won't be tearing?

Hi,
    I have a problem vith my ATI Mobillity Radeon HD 530v. I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed, but I can't get rid of video tearing. Do you know about any Linux distro which will work better with my 530v?

Originally posted by Argonisius View Post
    Hi,
    I have a problem vith my ATI Mobillity Radeon HD 530v. I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed, but I can't get rid of video tearing. Do you know about any Linux distro which will work better with my 530v?
    There isn't one. The Catalyst driver doesn't support VSync for Xv video. Your options are:

* Use GL for video and enable VSync in CCC and either only watch in fullscreen mode or disable compositing to also have tear-free video in windows.

* Switch to the open source ati driver by installing the latest kernel and X.Org graphics stack from appropriate repositories. I don't know where you can info about those repos; ask around or Google.

Comment

Do you know if they're planing to add this feature?

Comment

Do you know if they're planing to add this feature?
        I don't think so. I guess an AMD dev could provide the answer here (though I bet it will be something like "we will look into whether we will think about considering it".)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I don't think so. I guess an AMD dev could provide the answer here (though I bet it will be something like "we will look into whether we will think about considering it".)
          Right. How long has that been an issue (i.e. bug/function not working), btw? Also, another question is how long are they going to 'look into it?'

Comment

There isn't one. The Catalyst driver doesn't support VSync for Xv video. Your options are:

* Use GL for video and enable VSync in CCC and either only watch in fullscreen mode or disable compositing to also have tear-free video in windows.

* Switch to the open source ati driver by installing the latest kernel and X.Org graphics stack from appropriate repositories. I don't know where you can info about those repos; ask around or Google.
            OK. Setting to GL is in aticonfig? Will there be any difference in performance?

Comment

OK. Setting to GL is in aticonfig?
              No, selecting GL for video output is done in your media player. I don't know which one you're using, so I can't tell you how If you're using SMPlayer, which what I'm using myself, then you do that in "Options->Preferences->General->Video tab->Output driver". There you select "gl2 (yuv)" in the drop-down list and restart SMPlayer.

Enabling VSync for GL is done in CCC (Catalyst Control Center). It's a GUI tool that comes with the Catalyst driver, so it should be somewhere in your applications start menu.

Will there be any difference in performance?
              GL could be a bit faster, but nothing really noticeable.

Comment

Re: why is xv not vsync'ed yet:
                Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

as always, any resemblance to the stuff Q just said is purely coincidental.

Comment

No, selecting GL for video output is done in your media player. I don't know which one you're using, so I can't tell you how If you're using SMPlayer, which what I'm using myself, then you do that in "Options->Preferences->General->Video tab->Output driver". There you select "gl2 (yuv)" in the drop-down list and restart SMPlayer.

Enabling VSync for GL is done in CCC (Catalyst Control Center). It's a GUI tool that comes with the Catalyst driver, so it should be somewhere in your applications start menu.

GL could be a bit faster, but nothing really noticeable.
                  I'm using default Ubuntu 10.04 video player.

Comment

Well someone else has to help you here. I don't know what video player Ubuntu uses as default. You might try to look in its configuration options for some setting with "GL" or "OpenGL" in its name.

Comment

Working...
                    X