Luc Calls For A Dead Linux Desktop If Keith Gets His Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    you talk talk and talk... but we still have shitty xorg and drivers performance...

i have idea, to make a mega lightweight version of xorg, but for a simple user, that dont need remote desktop and other useless stuff for "mr smith", just a simple xorg, that allows everything to works, and much faster, without 80% of useless code. wayland seems to be nice alternative, whats wrong with you guys? you forget what was your main goal? i dont care about features, while performance is sadly low

if i have to chose between performance and tv output, i chose performance
    if i have to chose between stability and opencl i chose stability

like alt + tab in fullscreen games... they always end with crash, broken resolution on desktop, or cant restore app from taskbar, this sux sux sux
    ignoring the huge amount of irony in your first sentence - no-one's stopping you! if you feel you can do better, then please do. if it's as fast as you suggest, there will doubtless be a huge flock of people switching to your new project.

all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
      ignoring the huge amount of irony in your first sentence - no-one's stopping you! if you feel you can do better, then please do. if it's as fast as you suggest, there will doubtless be a huge flock of people switching to your new project.

all the best.
      problem is, that i cant, programming is my hobby, not my profession.

i know computers very well, i can compare many software peaces, i try to tell you how to improve xorg, what you do wrong in my opinion, what is waste of time, what works, whats doesn't.

reporting bugs is not good, some bugs waits couple of years to be fixed

some bugs are very nasty, and using linux with this bugs are nightmare, thats why many new users say linux sux, because nothing works

i.e. : laptops with intel graphic, many of them have flicker in new ubuntu 10.04, something goes wrong...

i.e.2: catalyst needs XAA acceleration or you have black boxes in firefox/thunderbird

i.e.3: new game demo "amnesia" and old "openarena" have nasty mouse issue, every click or to fast move moves mouse to bottom right corner, these games are unplayable. i bet its mouse grab issue not from games, theres many games with this problem.

i.e.4: alt + tab brokes resolution very often with fullscren game

i.e.5: tv resolution cant be different than monitor resolution

and many many more problems. your right, xorg is very very complex and good project, but have nasty bugs. i wait 3-4 years to fix them and no improve, reporting bugs does nothing, so i write them here, phoronix is place where sometimes developers can read what problems communities have.

i want you to motivate to fix old bugs, not add new features, that only 5% of linux users need to be happy.

Comment

@Gordboy,
        I believe everybody deserves a second chance (except of relationships, but that's a different topic), so don't screw it up this.

Ofcourse; everybody can question things, but it's the way how one questions things. If you're figuratively out to suck the blood beneath people fingernails, so to speak, then be prepared for a dejavu.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          and many many more problems. your right, xorg is very very complex and good project, but have nasty bugs. i wait 3-4 years to fix them and no improve, reporting bugs does nothing, so i write them here, phoronix is place where sometimes developers can read what problems communities have.

i want you to motivate to fix old bugs, not add new features, that only 5% of linux users need to be happy.
          How about using your undoubtedly enormous competence you've gathered as a hobbyist and actually go fix the bugs instead of letting them rot in tracker? Keep in mind a lot of the other people contributing aren't professionals either.

Comment

heh.. make X in python, and i can help, iam not C/assembler programmer

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              @Gordboy,
              I believe everybody deserves a second chance (except of relationships, but that's a different topic), so don't screw it up this.

Ofcourse; everybody can question things, but it's the way how one questions things. If you're figuratively out to suck the blood beneath people fingernails, so to speak, then be prepared for a dejavu.
              Thanks Vincent. I'll treasure your advice forever.

Comment

I see that Luc is still calling for Linux to die.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I see that Luc is still calling for Linux to die.
                  People just keep changing things up. I had to change jobs because of this once. It was a no win situation. The lead developer would keep changing the codebase and we'd keep fixing and sorting out the bugs. The project manager kept bitching about the slipping dates. I told my fellow developers good luck and asked for a transfer.

I seriously believe the same applies here. Constant changing of the codebase is just going to push the features and fixes way out another two years. KMS really didn't solve anything that couldn't have been fixed in X. We don't need a boot splash. Vesa was handling that nicely.

Apple built Quartz in a few years time. Maybe one of the guys over there could step in and start a new initiative. Quartz is essential built on top of FREE/NET:BSD. So the frameworks may be easy to implement.

I found this interesting...

--
                  Philip K Dick once said not to start anything late at night.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                    KMS really didn't solve anything that couldn't have been fixed in X. We don't need a boot splash. Vesa was handling that nicely.
                    KMS lets you build a GL ES / EGL stack without X. You can do a lot with that.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                      heh.. make X in python, and i can help, iam not C/assembler programmer
                      LOL, that'll solve our performance issues alright.

Comment

Working...
                      X