Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luc Calls For A Dead Linux Desktop If Keith Gets His Way

Phoronix: Luc Calls For A Dead Linux Desktop If Keith Gets His Way

While X Server 1.10 is not being discussed at length until tomorrow (the final day of XDS Toulouse), besides today's notes, Luc Verhaegen who formerly was with Novell working on the RadeonHD driver and has also worked on the open-source VIA Unichrome driver and a few other X related projects, is preparing for another heated battle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Merging the drivers back in doesn't exactly scream "best practice" to me.

Comment

Please don't demodulate it! It's bad enough that you have to upgrade the kernel for driver updates. Please don't make the graphic stack have the same issue.

Comment

Let's break the damn APIs, but please do not merge the video drivers back.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The Nvidia driver is the WORST example of demodularisation.

If we follow that direction, each driver would implement pretty much all of the X server and Gallium3d internally.

Comment

De-modularizing the video drivers would be insane. Modular systems upgrade their APIs all the time, and it isn't painless but it is possible to do.

If it is just the input drivers, then that is more understandable.

Comment

Where exactly is the "call for a dead linux desktop?"

A developer theorizes that moving the drivers in to the server will kill the linux desktop... He doesn't "call for it."

I theorize that a volcano will erupt... Does this mean I advocate volcanoes?

"Luc is very much in starch opposition..."

Potatoe fight?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                The Nvidia driver is the WORST example of demodularisation.

If we follow that direction, each driver would implement pretty much all of the X server and Gallium3d internally.
                This is not what is proposed here, this is not why the nvidia driver is mentioned.

The nvidia driver was mentioned, because it is the most popular, and the one we hear the least people complain about. The reason for that is: it just works for more of the time than any of the other drivers out there.

One major part of that is: people can just grab it and install it, and be pretty secure in that nothing else in their system, except the nvidia graphics driver stack itself, will change.

This is what we can learn from nvidia (and unichrome, and to some lesser extent sis and radeonhd)

Comment

Now... correct me if I'm wrong, but this would require all the drivers to be open source, would it not? I.e., the nvidia blob would have to reimplement the ENTIRE xserver, or would have to open up and merge with xorg.... I don't see xorg accepting any only-works-with-blob code any more than kernel does.

Comment

Again, please don't do it. I am sure with merged drivers, API stability will be managed in very sloppy ways, if at all.

What is especially funny is that someone on xorg-dev suggested removing the module loader and linking in drivers directly as a further step. Hello, XFree 3.x!

Comment

Working...
                    X