The ZFS Linux Module Goes Into Closed Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    It doesn't matter if you're giving binary copies to your mother. The strictest legal interpretation of copyright law would say that any copies sent outside of the legal entity "KQ Infotech" are distributed; all distributed copies fall under the scope of the CDDL.
    Closed betas count as inside, not outside. For the duration of the beta, the testers are effectively part of KQ. (There are documents to sign, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Closed betas count as inside, not outside. For the duration of the beta, the testers are effectively part of KQ. (There are documents to sign, etc.)
      That makes no sense. To become a part of an incorporated entity, you have to be employed by them. See my previous post for my attempt to encircle the legal definition of employ.

If I sign an NDA saying I won't leak a beta, that by no means makes me a legal agent of that entity. If it did, I would be able to make decisions on behalf of the company, and other such ridiculous things. These privileges are exclusively reserved to employees, who by definition, perform labor in exchange for money.

So unless Michael can come and tell us that he's making minimum wage for being in the closed beta test, it's still illegal.

Trying to say that they count as part of the KQ entity is simply false. You can't make something true by wishing it to be so.

Comment

Working...
      X