No announcement yet.

New tool for undervolt/overclock AMD K8L and K10 processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmh... most references I find about denied access to 0x80000001 cpuid register are referring to virtualization.
    That's strange, it should not interfere at all, but if you can maybe try to enable Virtualization/Secure Virtual Machine in your bios if you haven't it yet active.

Comment

• I have SVM enabled in BIOS (use it for Virtualbox). But the commands I write are in the host system.

Comment

• 990fx chipset nbvoltage?

Hi

I use TurionPowerControl to slightly overclock my FX-8320 and get very good results. I got 3.8Ghz, at low voltage 1.29V which keeps my CPU temperature underload about 55oC, with open air room (no air-conditioner). I do scientific computations and this fits well with my need. My BIOS settings is not working reliably, and I find TPC much easier to work with than messing with my BIOS.

My problem is the North Bridge gets very hot. About 86-87oC underload. I'd like to undervolt it to reduce the temperature, but it seems TurionPowerControl doesn't support my 990FX (my mainboard is MSI 990FXA-GD65) yet. Are you going to add support for this chipset soon?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by blackshard View Post
          Mmmh... most references I find about denied access to 0x80000001 cpuid register are referring to virtualization.
          That's strange, it should not interfere at all, but if you can maybe try to enable Virtualization/Secure Virtual Machine in your bios if you haven't it yet active.
          Since my previous comments I now run with a 64bit kernel. When I run my compiled 32bit binary of TPC it still fails with this error (kernel 3.13). But I can now run your precompiled 64bit binary and that one seems to works (I tried the information retrieving options like -l for now).

Comment

• Originally posted by aceman View Post
            Since my previous comments I now run with a 64bit kernel. When I run my compiled 32bit binary of TPC it still fails with this error (kernel 3.13). But I can now run your precompiled 64bit binary and that one seems to works (I tried the information retrieving options like -l for now).
            Sorry, that was with version 0.422. Now I noticed you already have version 0.44. With that version both of your precompiled binaries (32bit/64bit Ubuntu) work for me fine. I also noticed a change in display of -l where the boost state is now shown as disabled (that is correct). It is still showing a Vcore of 1.3V, which is not right as I have about 1.47V set in the bios. But k10ctl shows the same problem.

Comment

• Hot northbridge can use a fan

Originally posted by ntt2010 View Post
              Hi

I use TurionPowerControl to slightly overclock my FX-8320 and get very good results. I got 3.8Ghz, at low voltage 1.29V which keeps my CPU temperature underload about 55oC, with open air room (no air-conditioner). I do scientific computations and this fits well with my need. My BIOS settings is not working reliably, and I find TPC much easier to work with than messing with my BIOS.

My problem is the North Bridge gets very hot. About 86-87oC underload. I'd like to undervolt it to reduce the temperature, but it seems TurionPowerControl doesn't support my 990FX (my mainboard is MSI 990FXA-GD65) yet. Are you going to add support for this chipset soon?

Thanks!
              I had similar problems when using a 990FX for Crossfire experiments back in early 2012, I just put a small fan on the heatsink and the problem was fixed. Most AMD chipsets I have seen when used on entry-level boards with just small finned heatsinks run far to hot to begin with, if you use chipset graphics, crossfire with no bridge connector, or anything like that you really need the fan. I've seen this all the way back to an Nvidia chipset supporting an AMD Athon 3200+ with the ancient Nvidia 6600 LE type graphics. If the chipset graphics were used while running up the base clock, the chipset would get so hot that severe graphics corruption would occur in about 10 minutes. The identical GPU on a separate card solved that problem and a video freeze by overloading the memory bus problem.

Comment

• Bumping this thread because TPC is awesome, I still use it.
                Does this work with the latest AMD CPUs?
                BTW, looks like the author(s) moved it to github: https://github.com/mh0rst/turionpowercontrol (judging by the username and the emails of the devs in the code.google.com repo).

Comment

• Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  Bumping this thread because TPC is awesome, I still use it.
                  Does this work with the latest AMD CPUs?
                  BTW, looks like the author(s) moved it to github: https://github.com/mh0rst/turionpowercontrol (judging by the username and the emails of the devs in the code.google.com repo).

I doubt that something jaguar based would work without some code tweaking as it is a vastly different architecture than this has been tuned for.
                  However it should work with anything bulldozer and piledriver based... Last few updates added interlagos support.

Comment

Working...
                  X