No announcement yet.

New tool for undervolt/overclock AMD K8L and K10 processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then you have to deal with the linux cpuscaler.

Maybe running:

> cpufreq-set -c 0 -u 600 -c 1 -u 600

should do the trick.
    Change 600 with the default frequency of slowest pstate, cpufreq utilities won't update their statistics.

Comment

Hi blackshard,

I am not really good at testing these things, nor am I any good at writing code for this. But I do like having these tools, since on Windows there are some really nice ones.

So in the form of support for this project, can I send you a motherboard and CPU for the K8 processor? I have a MV-40 and a Athlon 64 3000 (754), working with the same mobo (MSI). Also, what other hardware do you have? Would a X2 3600 (AM2+) do you any good? I am having to guess at some of these specs since I don't have these with me right now.

I do wished that AMD would be willing to support these efforts by sending some hardware to developers.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrawoger View Post
        Hi blackshard,

I am not really good at testing these things, nor am I any good at writing code for this. But I do like having these tools, since on Windows there are some really nice ones.

So in the form of support for this project, can I send you a motherboard and CPU for the K8 processor? I have a MV-40 and a Athlon 64 3000 (754), working with the same mobo (MSI). Also, what other hardware do you have? Would a X2 3600 (AM2+) do you any good? I am having to guess at some of these specs since I don't have these with me right now.

I do wished that AMD would be willing to support these efforts by sending some hardware to developers.
        It would be really useful, but I don't want to ask people for money or hardware to support the project. I mean, if you got the hardware and it's taking dust on the shelf and the delivery will cost you zero or something like it, well it would be really appreciated.

But if you're going to buy the mobo, buy the processor and spend even 10 euros for delivery, well, I can't say that I'm happy because many people use the program and don't care that just one person offered donations for the project.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
          It would be really useful, but I don't want to ask people for money or hardware to support the project. I mean, if you got the hardware and it's taking dust on the shelf and the delivery will cost you zero or something like it, well it would be really appreciated.

But if you're going to buy the mobo, buy the processor and spend even 10 euros for delivery, well, I can't say that I'm happy because many people use the program and don't care that just one person offered donations for the project.
          Don't worry, these are surplus parts right now. I do build computers for friends quite a bit, and so I get some left overs sometimes.

The only thing would be shipping. How far away are you from Toronto, Canada?? I am guessing quite a bit, since you mentioned Euros.

Comment

Don't worry, these are surplus parts right now. I do build computers for friends quite a bit, and so I get some left overs sometimes.

The only thing would be shipping. How far away are you from Toronto, Canada?? I am guessing quite a bit, since you mentioned Euros.
            Actually I build computers for friends too, but mine don't left me anything valuable K10 support was built using friend computer's, but I had a solid base because I own a K8L and K8L and K10 share most of the power management. K8 instead are quite a bit different and I need a bit of rework.

Anyway I'm from Italy, I think the shipment will cost a bit. I may pay it by myself if it worths.

Comment

Anyway I'm from Italy, I think the shipment will cost a bit. I may pay it by myself if it worths.
              How about this then: When I get feeling better (home with a cold) I will check out the parts that I have and I will send you some specs. You decide if you want them or not.

I did a quick guess-timate of how much it would be ship to Italy from here. Small Parcel Ground - $14, Small Parcel Air - $32.

So if you can wait (it will take 2 weeks or so for ground) it's not that unreasonable to ship the stuff.

BTW, I measured a box 14"x12"x4" at 2 lbs (have fun with the metric conversion).

Comment

How about this then: When I get feeling better (home with a cold) I will check out the parts that I have and I will send you some specs. You decide if you want them or not.

I did a quick guess-timate of how much it would be ship to Italy from here. Small Parcel Ground - $14, Small Parcel Air - $32.

So if you can wait (it will take 2 weeks or so for ground) it's not that unreasonable to ship the stuff.

BTW, I measured a box 14"x12"x4" at 2 lbs (have fun with the metric conversion).
                Well $14 for ground it's an acceptable cost. Here in Italy we have to spend 11 euros (that's more than $14) to just send a package in our own state

Anyway no problems at all to wait for 2-3 weeks or even more.

I wait for your specs, but i think anything on socket 754-939-AM2 will be suitable for the job. Don't worry about the heatspreader, I have lots of them. Lots of heatspreaders and no processors at all, just a Turion TL-52 with no notebook motherboard to fit it on :/

Comment

Then you have to deal with the linux cpuscaler.

Maybe running:

> cpufreq-set -c 0 -u 600 -c 1 -u 600

should do the trick.
                  Change 600 with the default frequency of slowest pstate, cpufreq utilities won't update their statistics.
                  Now I have another problem. When I boot my CPU only has two P-States enabled. My cfg file for TPC is set to configure three P-States, which it does successfully. I then use this command:

cpufreq-set -r -c 0 -d 525MHz

To set both of my cores to auto-scaling. This allows the cores to run at the middle P-State, (900 MHz), but not the lowest P-State (525MHz).

I believe this is because the CPU scaler does not three P-states on boot, and therefore does not allow for a third p-state to be added later on.

Is there any way to do this?

Comment

Well, you may try to kill the cpufreq daemon and then rerun it. I don't know if this is sufficient to let it detect the third pstate.

BTW, there's the tpc builtin scaler.
                    You can configure the scaler options using a configuration file (check example.cfg file for documentation), also remember to set psmax and give valid values to the pstate you are going to "unlock".

Then launch the program this way:

> turionpowercontrol -cfgfile myConfFile.cfg -scaler

Obviously you need to disable the linux scaler: you may kill cpufreqd daemon or just set a fixed frequency, else the two scalers will interfere each other.

Comment

Hi,

it would be very nice if you could add the option to use the cpuctl kernelmodule of FreeBSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X