Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Parts Of X.Org Should Be Killed With Fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Parts Of X.Org Should Be Killed With Fire?

Phoronix: What Parts Of X.Org Should Be Killed With Fire?

Originally at the X.Org Developers' Summit here in Toulouse this week there was going to be a talk entitled "Kill It With Fire" where Corbin Simpson (mostly known for his work on the ATI R300 Gallium3D driver) was going to be speaking about what drivers or parts of X.Org should be eliminated from the stack. This talk though is no longer occurring, in part as Corbin is no longer in attendance; he washed his US passport in the laundry...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Corbin is no longer in attendance; he washed his US passport in the laundry."

This is a Microsoft conspiracy. They have people inside the CIA and were able to destroy his passport. This in an attempt to keep X.Org from modernizing itself so that it can't compete with the MS Windows GUI stack.

Comment

I'm glad that it seems they're not talking about removing DDX drivers for older hardware. Believe it or not, I'm still using the Trident Cyberblade driver in one of my machines. There was an experimental 3D driver written for it but it never went official. I can live without the 3D though.

Comment

:P

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        "Corbin is no longer in attendance; he washed his US passport in the laundry."

This is a Microsoft conspiracy. They have people inside the CIA and were able to destroy his passport. This in an attempt to keep X.Org from modernizing itself so that it can't compete with the MS Windows GUI stack.
        Also Mono, Gnome, Novell, Miguel.

Comment

RealNC is figuratively on crack. Although we all know that Michael conveniantly withhold the part where this Gnome thing running on top of X was also part of "Killing it with fire" because it's an inferior codebase. Ofcourse Novell is in bed with Microsoft so they at least support a good DE like KDE. Let's hope Microsoft will not sue other distributions with the silly "running a respectful DE"-patent

Comment

> What parts of X should be killed with fire?

> None. But on the other hand, in this other project called the kernel...

The presentation wouldn't have been very on-topic, looks to me :P

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Also Mono, Gnome, Novell, Miguel.
              This doesn't help. Mono is MS .net implementiation, Miguel works for MS, Novell has a pact with MS, so your and similar people tactics of understimating things simply won't help.

You know what ximian was/is, don't you?

What parts of X should be killed with fire?

None. But on the other hand, in this other project called the kernel...
              I'd kill non-KMS support where KMS support is available.

Comment

What parts to kill seems very implementation dependent. Knowing nothing about the specifics I cannot say. If Xorg is well designed then more code shouldn't necessarily get in the way. If it's badly designed, then rearrange the structure so that you don't have to decide which parts to kill in order to make the rest of it not suck.

I'm having enough trouble understanding X from the outside let alone the inside. I'm much more excited about the announcement somebody is working on organizing the documentation TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  I'm glad that it seems they're not talking about removing DDX drivers for older hardware. Believe it or not, I'm still using the Trident Cyberblade driver in one of my machines.
                  And I'm using the mga driver with an old pci based millenium G200.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    And I'm using the mga driver with an old pci based millenium G200.
                    Haha yeah, mine's not quite that old. I almost bought that card... in 1999.

Comment

Working...
                    X