ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fa5hion View Post
    Anyone care to explain what is this "new design" that r600g has just defaulted to?
    Probably they just learned while writing the Gallium driver and figured out some things were better written in a different way so they had a separate codepath designed with the new ideas so it wouldn't break functionality for people and we could switch to using it when it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Probably they just learned while writing the Gallium driver and figured out some things were better written in a different way so they had a separate codepath designed with the new ideas so it wouldn't break functionality for people and we could switch to using it when it's ready.
      Yup that's the correct answer. A more detailed one is on mesa-dev mailing list.

Comment

Ok.

Hmmm... seems like we might see some performance improvements.

Comment

Yeah I was also wondering about this new design and state2, but the mailing list message clears that up. I did a little test with Half-Life 2 on HD3200, pointing the mouse in a random direction the fps counter showed 11 fps, old design was at 8fps and classic is at 20fps. The driver still seems to be plagued by a lot of memory/bo leaks though.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            The driver still seems to be plagued by a lot of memory/bo leaks though.
            this commit from 45 minutes ago appears to fix most bo leaks:

Valgrind still reports quite a few memory leaks when running glxgears, but those are one-time-leaks (not repeated leakage each frame) and only very few seem to leak BOs.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmaker View Post
              What framerate does that have?
              Still horrible as of now. You can use fancy effects in KDE's kwin if you have a habbit of making coffee while waiting to switch windows or desktops, forget it if you don't. I see progress when it comes to getting things drawn correctly, I haven't seen any when it comes to FPS as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                Still horrible as of now. You can use fancy effects in KDE's kwin if you have a habbit of making coffee while waiting to switch windows or desktops, forget it if you don't. I see progress when it comes to getting things drawn correctly, I haven't seen any when it comes to FPS as of yet.
                You tested with lastest head ? It should perform close to r600c.

Comment

new path is slower in q3 (by a lot), but it can render sauerbraten map properly, it even can render water , not rendering hands properly tho.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                    You tested with lastest head ? It should perform close to r600c.
                    yeah I should probably update my r600g, it's almost 3 days old now. That old technology isn't even close to r600c on my box. "01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics" isn't the fastest thing to being with, but I see no point in buying a dedicated graphics chip just to wobble the windows.

Comment

Originally posted by netkas View Post
                      new path is slower in q3 (by a lot), but it can render sauerbraten map properly, it even can render water , not rendering hands properly tho.
                      What is your GPU ? Here openarena is faster with new path (on parity with classic driver).

Comment

Working...
                      X