Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Phoronix: ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

While most of the open-source Linux graphics drivers are currently in Toulouse for the 2010 X.Org Developers' Summit, David Airlie of Red Hat Australia is not among those in attendance. He, however, is continuing to work on one of his latest efforts in conjunction with AMD: R600g, or the ATI R600/700/Evergreen Gallium3D driver. In the latest batch of Git commits to Mesa there is now a number of new features implemented...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD please, don't waste your time on classic. People have waited 1 year for Evergreen support, they can wait another 3 months. Focus your efforts on Gallium3D driver and infrastructure. I am sure evergreen owners are willing this, and will be grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      AMD please, don't waste your time on classic. People have waited 1 year for Evergreen support, they can wait another 3 months. Focus your efforts on Gallium3D driver and infrastructure. I am sure evergreen owners are willing this, and will be grateful.
      I don't really believe they be grateful. Your average Ubuntu user expects his stuff to work and doesn't know much about what Gallium3D is.

Comment

I am talking about 3D experience. 2D should go into next ubuntu, but still that does not relate to Gallium3D.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I don't really believe they be grateful. Your average Ubuntu user expects his stuff to work and doesn't know much about what Gallium3D is.
          I already said this once: Ubuntu 10.10 users won't get really-working Evergreen support anyway. And as for 11.04 I believe we will get r600g working.

Comment

damn, i'm so eager for news like "negative diversity between r600g and r300g ended, time for positive one". that will be the day i finally will add "gallium" use-flag on my main box and hopefully forget about "classic" stuff.

the better only could be "free driver writers decided to not give a fuck about US extortion patents" and "nouveau is as good as r600g now, somehow"...
            because, you know, "Linux" _will_ be "ready for desktop"(c) for sure when cards from trinity of main gpu manufacturers will work fine under proper FOSS software. and, dear Linus, live CDs\USBs\PXEs with full video acceleration support on hw with any cards and their combinations, and without BLOBy hacks ? hell, yeah !

Comment

Well that's not how I see it as an Evergreen owner. I think AMD is doing the right thing fixing up r600c for Evergreen. Evergreen support in r600c is already very mature and relatively fast. Evergreen support in r600g is brand new and it may take a while before it has reached the level and speed of r600c. Maybe 3 months, 6 months, a year, who knows?

Comment

Michael, just some typos:

While most of the open-source Linux graphics drivers are currently in Toulouse for the 2010 X.Org Developers' Summit
                Well can you get back here into my computer again!

Comment

As an owner of a laptop with Evergree I couldn't agree more. Closed source drivers work fine enough (if you disable the new 2D accelleration architecture) until the Gallium drivers are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
                    As an owner of a laptop with Evergree I couldn't agree more. Closed source drivers work fine enough (if you disable the new 2D accelleration architecture) until the Gallium drivers are ready.
                    As a owner of a laptop with evergreen, I can't agree. I don't care about closed source driver, I have suffered enough from them and I was happy some years ago to get rid of them (if they could just die, that would just seem justice for all the pain it caused).

If it i actually nearly ready to work in r600c (I won't know until it's in edgers), then why just wipe it all and restart in r600g ? Better to get it in a good state.

Comment

Working...
                    X