Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me, or are the GE banner ads REALLY annoying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me, or are the GE banner ads REALLY annoying?

They do roll-over pop-ups with extra annoying video, etc. I'd think that they fall under the category that most websites consider "over the top" since it's easy to roll-over the stupid thing and not mean to. Should be a click type affair instead.

Set the mood with lighting?

I'm sorry to say that I have had the displeasure of moving my cursor over this sorry piece of advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      Set the mood with lighting?
      Heh... All I'm seeing is RED.

I'm sorry to say that I have had the displeasure of moving my cursor over this sorry piece of advertising.
      Indeed. It motivated me to do explicit AdBlock filters for JUST that content (don't want to block everything- just the crap GE's marketing people ought to have known better with...). I have to keep my speakers on at my new day-job for varying reasons and during a compile it got VERY annoying as I was reading forum stuff while wating for it to finish.

Comment

I just clicked on a Resolve coupon ad and it pulled up this...

We are not able to support coupon printing on your system at this time. The Coupon Print Activator is supported on Windows Operating Systems 2000, ME, XP and Vista when used with Internet Explorer Explorer 6.x and 7.x, or Firefox 2.x and 3.x. Coupon printing is not supported under Linux, Unix or Web TV platforms. Please try again from a machine that meets these requirements.

Why spend money to put up a ad like that on a site that is clearly targeted at *nix users?

Comment

....curious, I was just about to start this exact same topic.

Seriously though, "set the mood with lighting" is starting to really ^$@#%#! irritate me. On certain systems with buggy or slow flash you can't even close it without killing the tab.

DIE YOU DUMB AD!!!

Comment

I pay a few dollars every year and dont see the ads; and im damn well sure most people here make more doe then i do. It seems the secret to wealth is to not spend a dime...

Comment

The GE ad has been driving me nuts. I am glad I am not the only one to have noticed. I am fine with ads on Phoronix, but the GE one needs to die. I will most definitely block the GE ad, but leave myself exposed to all the other ones, because I would like to see Phoronix live into the future (being my favorite tech website.) Or... I could just go premium and not get any ads at all.

Comment

Now Hallmark jumped on the same boat. Their ad pounces up the moment it sees the mouse cursor over it.

and has sound, which can cause people to jump a mile.

Which is bad bad bad user interface design.

Comment

Working...
                X