Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 10.9 For Linux Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 10.9 For Linux Released

AMD has just released their monthly proprietary Linux driver update, which this month puts it at Catalyst 10.9. The only new "feature" of AMD Catalyst 10.9 for Linux is early support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 (RHEL6), but there are some bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 10.9 For Linux Released

AMD has just released their monthly proprietary Linux driver update, which this month puts it at Catalyst 10.9. The only new "feature" of AMD Catalyst 10.9 for Linux is early support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 (RHEL6), but there are some bug-fixes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODYwNQ
    You understand RHEL6 support could mean Fedora 12 and up support, don't you? ;-) RHEL6 is based off Fedora 11, 12 and 13 iirc.

Comment

Woohoo, finally, no more black boxes in OpenSUSE 11.3! That means I can continue using fglrx now!

Comment

Originally posted by wzzrd View Post
        You understand RHEL6 support could mean Fedora 12 and up support, don't you? ;-) RHEL6 is based off Fedora 11, 12 and 13 iirc.
        Fedora 13 works since Catalyst 10.8 with the AMD proprietary driver. Here is a guide how to install it on F13.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          Fedora 13 works since Catalyst 10.8 with the AMD proprietary driver. Here is a guide how to install it on F13.
          omgwtfbbq!?

I didn't know that worked again On x86_64 too?

Comment

rhel6 uses xserver 1.7 and kernel 2.6.32.

*** it already worked in rhel6 from months ago. Now all they did in that regard is slap on an extra sticker that says "rhel6".

Comment

Doesn't install here

I tried to install it here on gentoo and although it says it has succesfully installed the driver (kernel module) is not built at all. In the install log I get this:
              Code:
              [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
              [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
              [Error] Kernel Module : Kernel module build environment not found - please consult readme.
              Which is quite strange for Gentoo, where I have kernel compiled from source and it worked just fine with 10.8.

I also tried the install from text mode, without X, and there it just errors out with some glibc error talking about some double-free error.

Comment

OK, It installed here on another Gentoo desktop. Will have to figure out what is the difference that prevents it from installing it on the laptop.

Well so far I can see that the new 2D accelleration architecture is still buggy as hell and there is still no easy option to disable it.

The panel brigtness slider in KDE battery widget still gets broken with Catalyst drivers (works finr with open-source ones).

BTW does anyone know when we will get OpenCL as part of Catalyst drivers? If I am correct windows drivers have it since 10.8, but here on Linux we are stuck with some beta 10.7 drivers. It would be nice to at least update the beta drivers to something like 10.9.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
                  OK, It installed here on another Gentoo desktop. Will have to figure out what is the difference that prevents it from installing it on the laptop.
                  Did you have fglrx previously installed on the laptop? If so, what are the exact steps you used to install the new version?

(Give me a minute to read your response, I'm working right now)

Comment

Did they fix the v-sync? Nop

Did they fix the lag when maximizing? Nop

Thanks, AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X