AMD catalyst 10.9 has been released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    they can't the opensource driver need much much more time.

an 50?-100? card can handle 100% of all features of the opensource radeon driver

do you think amd can make profit on 50? cards ?

to get an OS driver to have a compareable feature set you need 1-2 years

do you think amd should just stop selling cards for 2 years ?

an R800 is an opengl4.1 card but on os you get 2.1 on 2 years you get ogl3+opencl+gpu-videoacceleration on shaders.

but for this you also can get an hd3870 or hd4670 on second hand marked for 50?
    I have now bought and using 110? card just for opensource(I would very probably go up to 200?, if they were not so power-hungry in idle and there would be HD5xxx support already). There was no support - so I went to 4xxx.

In two years I will be targeting HD68xx and expecting opensource driver. If there are no changes, and it keeps up as current(no new gen drivers, prev-gen drivers require a LOT of setup and lack a LOT of functionality), I will have to seek closed source alternatives.

Cuz here is zero point to support open efforts, if they are just a part of big marketing scheme and are not considered seriously. And dont tell me about linux being voluntare or community, its NOT.

Comment

this driver still has the fullscreen bug -_-
      this was fixed in 10.6 and is back since 10.7
      arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
      prevents you from playing games and tabbing out from time to time.
      +doesnt play well with ubuntu unity, so i suppose it will be fixed for 10.10

Comment

you just fail to unterstand me.

you buy a 110? card LOL! the cloused source guys Buy a CrossfireX 4 Pices of HD5970 for 4000? or more!

and your lie about 4xxx you opensource guy buy a 110? card and the cloused one buy a crossfireX 4 pices of hd4890 or hd4870x2 or fireGL cards for 1000? or 2000?

my spoken is right and you are the Proofed validation only you buy 4xxx 110? card and the cloused one 3000? card and you buy a 5xxx 200? and the cloused one buy 3000? card-

you are just naiv telling AMD they should get 200? because the 3000? from the cloused guys are bad..

LOL NAIV!
        You mean I should buy 4000$ card? I can. I can buy six of them if I sell my car. But what for? There is no opensource driver for it. Even with driver, the performance is simply excessive for me.

Following your logic, linux would still be run by one person in the garage.

A proven validation is that I have assembled my and another 8 systems from hardware that stictly supports linux, and 200$ printers went back to the shop, cause they claimed to supported it, but failed in the practice.

A method to make strongly supported opensource driver is roll out Linux Registration on AMD site, where any AMD video card owner can:
        1) Register his card as being used in linux with opensource driver
        2) Donate % from this card cost for opensource driver development. 10% from purchase price can be fine.

People want and can support opensource development, yet I didnt see any attempt from graphic card companies to use it, nor I saw any serious commitment.

If AMD tries to push its own closed-source drivers that would be zero different to what Nvidia had already done. What was the point I switched to ATI again?

Comment

"some cloused source customer do this...
          why amd should stop this business ? "
          What does it have to do with stopping business?

"the cloused source people do not need to sell there cars they print money in the "Federal Reserve Bank" and they pay it with the Inflation of your money so your 3000? is next year the same as 1500? this year."
          Ok, you get me money then?

"but the big difference is this cloused source guys are not Communism people they don't don't to share there code. "
          Opensource has nothing with communism.
          Materialistic things stay good if untouched, they get consumed(destroy current state) or split if used.
          Information gets destroyed if untouched, it multiplies if its used.

True, humans consume to produce information, yet they get payed for doing it. When machines produce silicon, the setup and result are also payed in purchase. But in first case - only creating not copying should be charged, in the second - the creating AND copying should be charged as its pure physical matter.

I have zero interest in paying for copy of information and not in production. Because in modern and future society information lockdown is a very serious source of evil.

"this is way they have more money than you and this is why they can buy bigger and faster cards than you."
          I have no interest in bigger, faster penises. I want that it works opensource and I pay for it.

"maybe there is a driver for it in the future."
          I see very slow, very latent development, with many developers doing it if their free time or voluntary(wtf?!)

"thinks chance and maybe you chance thinks but it is not the time to shot the catalyst down just you only you don't want it."
          I took time to find and buy a working card, because Nvidia stoped any opensource attempts - I sold 9800, and AMD on the contrary started to opensource at good rate so I bought AMD system(cpu,mb,gpu).
          I was buying nvidia before. (Gf4800Ti,6800GT,8600, 6300IGP, 9800).

Although I admit I have purchased VERY first Radeon64DDR(R100) back in days instead of Gf2gts - just because I really wanted to support "that Canadian company" against being eaten by (that days) taiwan based Nvidia.

Recently catalyst recieved increased amount of attention, so it looks like I switched from working proprietary driver to more than half unworking opensource driver and in meanwhile this driver recieves minimal attention from AMD as they improve their closed source blob to the level where nvidia was 2-3 years ago(?).

"and jews neet to wear a yellow star in the nazi empire in the past.."
          No one forces you to register. Its non-existent, but if it were real it is purely optional. Just as "Registered Linux Member" compaign. Its for statical analysis only. Each card has a serial. Whats the problem?

"be sure linux users don't want to 'Register' there usage."
          Sorry, I disagree.
          See, we already have 50% for and 50% against.

"you are full off joke amd makes more than 30% win on the investet money more profit you can every do with normal money investment..."
          Ok, they should allow 30% donation too.
          In the end many many people use their cards for Linux ONLY.
          And as they purchase, they pay for UNNEEDED windows driver development.
          You see the point?

ATI already produced MAC-versions of hardware.

"and you really wana donate money to amd? for a driver???????????? "
          Yes, its possible if they create the scheme similar to what I described, so Im not the only one standing and they can judge to amount of money.

Give me your version on how to improve opensource driver financially? Microsoft BRIBES them(actually it bribes everyone - its many times proven). You want to sit back and do nothing?

"the only you need to do is use your hardware on linux and sometimes buy new hardware."
          I dont want to pay for closed source windows driver.

"really amd do not need 'donated' money-"
          Then why they dont push opensource driver? They are very bound to running costs - producing cards and selling them.

"no one knows your Opinion to switch to amd hardware "
          Please: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23355

"amd just try to get the cloused source customers and opensource customers thats all."
          Whats the point of OpenGL with proprietary closed source code?
          Whats the point for the consumer to have closed-source patented methods in his drivers?
          Im a Joe Normal and I pay for average Joe card that should at least be capable of drawing average Joe 3D.
          Im not developing airplanes.

But even then, there is Blender, which is opensource. Why not put patents in Blender?

"if you think VIA do have a better opensource driver fine buy a VIA card."
          VIA is a closed source company. They sell documentation under NDA. Realtek is very opensource, but no 3D accel capable VGA chips from them, so the choice stays within only 2 competitors.

Comment

Problem is ATI has no solution. Closed driver is flawed and with newer hardware, not smooth...at least, according to many Linux owners and the open source driver is not yet ready. So, what do you do with your card? Run Windows?

I read that the HD 5xxx cards are obtaining more progress with closed drivers but tough to know what this means, exactly.

The open drivers are an ideal but a WIP always or at least, for a long period of time but people want to use their computers today, not months or half a year from now.

Even if you contribute, it still can be months before fixes and features are working smooth.

If one can deal with 'what is not yet working,' that's great for them but to expect everyone to have the same attitude/mentality/patience is not practical. The closed source driver should at least be comparable to the situation in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluggo View Post

Originally posted by erpe View Post
              Does Heroes of Newerth work again with evergreen cards?
              Can't test right now.
              No it does not

Bridgman, comment please?

5 releases now. Catalyst crashes inside it's OGL 4 driver.

Comment

I'm having a couple of issues and am wondering if anyone else is having them with 10.9 as well.

System Config
                3 x 24" for 5760x1200
                2 via DVI, 1 via DP to DVI converter.
                Ubuntu 10.04 up2date kernel, etc.

(Issues have been present 10.7 through 10.9)

Firstly, when starting playback of video it seams the driver does something to the Display Port which causes the active adapter to blank the screen for about two seconds.

When I power on my system, as the BIOS adjusts the resolution between the different BIOS/config splash screens (before GRUB) the display port adaptor blacks the connected screen for a moment. I've taken a video of the boot process and have counted the amount of frames the screen's blanked for due to a resolution change.
                Once the machine is booted, when starting video playback the screen connected via the adaptor is blanked for the same amount of frames which leads me to think that fglrx is resetting something on the display port to cause this.

Secondly, when resizing windows past a certain size the resize process goes from being smooth to lagging very badly. It can take two or three seconds between resize events once this starts. All other screen updates from any other apps cease waiting for the resize event to complete. Is the driver throwing data between the frame store and main RAM once a certain operation size is occurring?

Comment

Originally posted by Jecos View Post
                  Bridgman, comment please?

5 releases now. Catalyst crashes inside it's OGL 4 driver.

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1824
                  The bug report basically says :

- original problem reproduced in house early June (w. Quake Live)
                  - originally reproduced problem fixed, Quake Live works in house
                  - a few weeks ago AMD dev asked for feedback re: Quake Live, no response yet
                  - dev also confirmed that HON failure was repro'ed after original fix so presumably separate problem

so... if we are talking about HON the problem was repro'ed in house a few weeks ago.

Is the HON problem specific to Evergreen ? Don't think I saw that in the bug ticket (no mention of HW at all IIRC).
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    The bug report basically says :

- original problem reproduced in house early June (w. Quake Live)
                    - originally reproduced problem fixed, Quake Live works in house
                    - a few weeks ago AMD dev asked for feedback re: Quake Live, no response yet
                    - dev also confirmed that HON failure was repro'ed after original fix so presumably separate problem

so... if we are talking about HON the problem was repro'ed in house a few weeks ago.

Is the HON problem specific to Evergreen ? Don't think I saw that in the bug ticket (no mention of HW at all IIRC).
                    Just added that info

Comment

i build packages and upgrade the packages by dpkg
                      So do I under Opensuse 11.2/64. Can anybody confirm that in that case - even though the different versions show wrong values - the driver is up to date?

Regards,
                      Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X