No announcement yet.

AMD catalyst 10.9 has been released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess the community didn't dot the i's and cross the t's enough for the dev team to look at the problem until now. The external link clearly states evergreen and the driver version.... no one cares enough about a binary blob that's been griefing them with lackluster quality for years now. if they did care maybe they would of effectively gone through all the loops of reporting it so the dev team couldn't ignore it.

Fglrx couldn't die any slower a death now can it?

Comment

catalyst 10.9 still has a terrible slow blur effect:

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        10.8 can handle the standart 32 bit flash in 10.04 kubuntu and the 10.9 goes down if you switch from fullscreen to windows mode only strg+alt+f1 and after that strg+alt+f7 brings the screen back.
        Are you telling me, that if flashplayer / the screen hangs I can go to the text-console by pressing strg*alt+F1?
        On my 64-Bit Opensuse 11.2 with desktopeffects/compiz enabled this caused the system to hang under 10.8 and even before.

I would be glad as hell, if this finally worked again. With 32-Bit suse all was fine. After changing to 64-Bit the system hung up (but only with 3d-Desktop (compiz) enabled).

Comment

Originally posted by smartysmart34 View Post
          Are you telling me, that if flashplayer / the screen hangs I can go to the text-console by pressing strg*alt+F1?
          On my 64-Bit Opensuse 11.2 with desktopeffects/compiz enabled this caused the system to hang under 10.8 and even before.

I would be glad as hell, if this finally worked again. With 32-Bit suse all was fine. After changing to 64-Bit the system hung up (but only with 3d-Desktop (compiz) enabled).
          Failing to delete the /etc/ati folder often leads to wrong version number showing in CCC.

To get the right version numbers in CCC:

1. Uninstall old driver.
          2. delete /etc/ati folder
          3. install new driver

Comment

Shouldn't the rpm-package generated by the installer take care of this by itself?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluggo View Post
              Failing to delete the /etc/ati folder often leads to wrong version number showing in CCC.

To get the right version numbers in CCC:

1. Uninstall old driver.
              2. delete /etc/ati folder
              3. install new driver
              It would seem that deleting the files in /etc/ati doesn't get it to report the correct version number. I'm assuming that deleting the directory as well shouldn't make much difference cause 10.9 has populated /etc/ati again but still reports old version number.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                only the 2D version number is right... this is a known bug just ignore it!
                I am ignoring it .

The post is mostly to illustrate to others coming across this issue that the posts which claim that uninstalling the old driver and deleting /etc/ati, then rebooting and installing the new driver doesn't necessarily result in the correct version number being displayed by the Catalyst Control Centre.

To many out there, no, you're not doing it wrong fglrx is (surprise, surprise)

Comment

The thing is harder to kill that Michael Myers
                  If X is still running it just rebuilds itself.

What I do after generating the Mandriva rpms is then use the --extract option.
                  Reboot to init 3 upgrade the driver then as I reboot again pop in a live disk.
                  Delete the old /etc/ati folder and paste in the new one from the extracted fglrx folder..works every time. May add a few minutes to the upgrade process but what the heck.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

This driver as a bug in ubuntu:

The problem occured already after installation of karmic, didn't remove fglrx before distribution upgrade. ProblemType: Package DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04 Package: fglrx 2:8.723.1-0ubuntu4 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.43-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5 Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic x86_64 Architecture: amd64 Date: Sat Sep 18 11:01:55 2010 DkmsStatus: fglrx, 8.723.1: added ErrorMessage: fglrx kernel module failed to build InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20...

I applied the patch but the driver still fails to load. Any suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by smartysmart34 View Post
                      Shouldn't the rpm-package generated by the installer take care of this by itself?!?
                      You'd think so, but don't worry the .deb packages don't do this either... You'd think that by now they'd embed a version string in the drivers and just have CCC read it from there...

Hey! Someone else is bitching about the 1m edit timeout now too... lovely how it leads to masses of double, trip, quadruple, etc. posts.

(Been trying out Android tablets recently(don't buy the Augen Gentouch78), and knew that nothing exciting would be happening w/fglrx anyways... wasn't surprised when I came back and saw most of the same old friendly bugs still around.)

So what sort sort of OpenGL support are the OSS drivers up to now? Power management fully implemented yet? (Haven't been watching these for a while either as not much exciting was happening with them either, but it seems that I MAY have missed something over the last few months...)

Comment

Working...
                      X