Best Coreboot Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Don't be chopping your arms off... avoid VIA like the plague. Stick with a nice AMD CPU on an AMD chipset. Compared to that VIA junk, you'd be WAY better off with a SEMPRON chip.
    You don't have to be THAT harsh... it was only a short while ago I was tinkering with GCC flags to get a properly compiled version of mplayer on my C3 (couldn't play anything otherwise).

The CPUs, I'd say I support using. Great chips. The chipsets, and video? I wouldn't recommend using until they get the Linux support strategy under control. Seriously? Deciding to have good Linux support is a no brainer nowadays, I'm not sure why Via (alone) produces x86 chips and debates the merits of proper support.

Comment

I too have recently seen the coreboot updates

I see a couple of AM3 sockets and Phenom2 processors up there! its pritty neat

Comment

Interesting news on the AMD blog

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2011/02/28...AMD+at+Work%29
        http://blogs.amd.com/work/2011/02/28...AMD+at+Work%29

Comment

with intel bits

intel just released a Bios emulator BITS that may help with core boot's development

Comment

Can mere mortals buy those boards, or do you need to be a "partner" or something? They have a product brief and part numbers, but I haven't found a listing (not even a "no stock, call for lead time" one) at any distributor I've checked.

Comment

the sage boards or the AMD boards?

the sage boards are expensive but buy-able the amd boards are available also.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                the sage boards are expensive but buy-able the amd boards are available also.
                I was talking about the AMD development boards; I don't see any mention of Sage having their own boards. The AMD boards are obviously "available" on paper but I don't see anyone actually selling them.

Comment

both are buyable

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                  I was talking about the AMD development boards;
                  embeded dev boards (the target market of Sage) are not but the boards that support CoreBoot are clearly. This is a link right from the Coreboot page of working boards, its OK for v4. The press release from Sage was about these

Comment

I'm trying to flash the bios with coreboot, but i have a question for those who know better.

My Mobo is the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (Award BIOS), which is supported by coreboot. VGA is on-board HD4200.

Documentation (http://www.coreboot.org/VGA_support) says i need to indicate path and filename for the VGA BIOS image and device_id and vendor_id. The last two i can find out with lspci -vnn, but i dont have the faintest idea of the name and the path of the VGA BIOS image. where can i find them???

doing cat /proc/iomem i find no VGA ROM mapped.

cheers.

Comment

related tools

if you look at the main coreboot page you'll see a section on related tools, there they list flashrom and nvram, i think superio is the one you want.

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
                      I'm trying to flash the bios with coreboot, but i have a question for those who know better.

My Mobo is the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (Award BIOS), which is supported by coreboot. VGA is on-board HD4200.

Documentation (http://www.coreboot.org/VGA_support) says i need to indicate path and filename for the VGA BIOS image and device_id and vendor_id. The last two i can find out with lspci -vnn, but i dont have the faintest idea of the name and the path of the VGA BIOS image. where can i find them???

doing cat /proc/iomem i find no VGA ROM mapped.

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X