Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.8.3 Release Candidate 1 Is Here

Phoronix: Mesa 7.8.3 Release Candidate 1 Is Here

While Mesa 7.9 is just around the corner with a great number of new features and other improvements to this open-source graphics stack used by Linux and other operating systems, those being bound to releases that are proven stable will still be leaving with Mesa 7.8 until Mesa 7.9.1 or 7.9.2 is released later in the year. But for those stable users, there's also Mesa 7.8.3 that will soon be released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ... those being bound to releases that are proven stable will still be leaving with Mesa 7.8 until Mesa 7.9.1 or 7.9.2 is released later in the year. But for those stable users, there's also Mesa 7.8.3 that will soon be released...
    Stable or development? With mesa releases, this tends to confuse me.

Looking at http://www.mesa3d.org/news.html I get the impression that 7.8 is a development branch. According to http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...b66c4b1cb043a8 7.8.3 will be a bug-fix release.

At the mesa news page quoted above, it looks like the last two stable releases were 7.4.4 and 7.5.2. Since then, there were only feature, development, or bug-fix releases.

Comment

Most development happens in master or in a feature branch. A subset of those changes go into point release branches.

The change flow and branch naming convention has changed a bit over time, and for a while the recommended change flow was "change first in the branch then merge to master" so it probably looked like a development branch, but AFAIK the purpose of the point releases (eg 7.8.3) is to deliver a low risk subset of changes, primarily bug fixes.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by nikai View Post
        Looking at http://www.mesa3d.org/news.html I get the impression that 7.8 is a development branch.
        AFAIK mesa has no "development branches" any longer when it comes to versioning (i.e. major.minor) just like the kernel no longer has it.

If you read the releasenotes you linked to you will see that in the notes for 7.8.0 they say that that release is a dev release, and that the stability release will be 7.8.1. Because they found some outstanding bugs in the release notes for 7.8.1 they say it should also be considered a release version, and 7.8.2 should be stable.
        And since they in 7.8.2 does not mention if it is a dev or stable, I should gess on the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post
          If you read the releasenotes you linked to you will see that in the notes for 7.8.0 they say that that release is a dev release, and that the stability release will be 7.8.1.
          Where? Sorry, I don't see such a "stability" wording with 7.8/7.8.1. The last version to use such wording was 7.6/7.6.1, quote:
          Those especially concerned about stability may want to wait for the follow-on 7.6.1 bug-fix release.
          The kernel does have a mainline with release candidates, but AFAIK the new 2.6.x version is considered a stable release.

This appears to be different in mesa. If I understand correctly, a new 7.x version is considered a development or feature release, and some(?) bug-fix releases later the branch becomes stable.

Comment

Where? Sorry, I don't see such a "stability" wording with 7.8/7.8.1. The last version to use such wording was 7.6/7.6.1, quote:
            Euh....
            From Mesa 7.8.1 Release notes
            Even though this is a bug fix release, given its proximity to the 7.8 release, a new development release, it should also be considered new development release. People who are concerned with stability and reliability should stick with a previous release, such as 7.7.1, or wait for Mesa 7.8.2.
            The kernel does have a mainline with release candidates, but AFAIK the new 2.6.x version is considered a stable release.
            Please Google it
            Because of a change in the development process (i.e. stop "everyone send patches to Linus" and instead have some sort of revision control system) during the 2.5.x cycle when the they shifted to 2.6.0 the kernel devs decided on not open a 2.7.x development serie, but instead start do all development in other repos and merge it into 2.6.x as new features came along ad seemed stable enough. Greg KH picks some versions of the 2.6.x kernels and does LTS versions.
            They are currently 2.6.27.53 and 2.6.32.21 and as you can see there is no "odd/even" numbering what so ever to tell which 2.6.x is a "stable" and what is a "LTS".
            And there are no "development versions".

Comment

@nikai

Forgot to point out that this is just like Mesa where the most work are done in git master or in branches, and when they seem stable enough they are merged into master, which sooner or later will be branched for release and stamped with a version number.

@Michael, I am sending the bill for my hair transplantations to you because of this stupid 1 min rule for editing!

Comment

Working...
              X