HDCP DRM "master key" found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    in my point of view the hdcp hole isn't a problem for the movie industrie because you need highend hardware to rip a movie..

because of the very high datarate without compression-

you can buy a lot of bluerays for this hardware i think more than 2000?...
    Again... 1.5 Gbps. Its not THAT much. Nothing you can't do with 4 or 5 $50 disks. It certainly isn't CONVENIENT, but is definitely DOABLE.

Comment

hardware mean mainbaord+cpu+ram+harddrives.
      Are you writing with your smartphone? Because otherwise I think you already have a computer powerful enough to store the uncompressed stream (with the exception of the hard disks).
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Again... 1.5 Gbps. Its not THAT much. Nothing you can't do with 4 or 5 $50 disks. It certainly isn't CONVENIENT, but is definitely DOABLE.
        Or if you have a lot of very very fast non-persistent memory and a way to compress on the fly, you could possibly do with normal hard disk.

Comment

hardware don't mean harddrives...
          5 harddrives at 120? (2TB devices) = 600? +100?mainboard+200? cpu+400?ram+200? other stuff
          1500? overall ;-)

yes this is definitely doable !

but you don't save money ;-)
          Think of a criminal organization doing that, then selling full-quality Blu-ray movies that don't have DRM. That's how things used to be with games back a decade or two ago. As I said, this is mostly useful for people wanting to use non-HDCP-conformant displays with HDCP sources or for criminal activities.

Comment

The point is: who cares about hdcp when it's possible to EASILY decrypt a blu-ray on the fly?
            ## VGA ##

Comment

How easy is it?

Does it still involve downloading (or buying) closed software from semi-legal companies on Cayman islands?

Because not mainstream Linux player can do it. In fact, no player on Linux can.

You can pipe stuff to mplayer if you have all the right volume keys downloaded and whatnot, but I don't think that even this works with BD+.

What's the status of this stuff anyway? The last time I read through all the relevant threads over at doom9, it wasn't too great.

Comment

Since version 0.4 DumpHD can retrieve the required keys off the disc itself by using the aacskeys library.
                Since version 0.6 DumpHD can remove BD+ automatically by using BDVM Debugger.

Better than nothing and even easier on win...
                ## VGA ##

Comment

How about Video libraries? Legal institutions with potentially 1000s of disks? The hardware would pay for itself in storage volume alone, and that's ignoring the back-up side of things.

Comment

hardware don't mean harddrives...
                    5 harddrives at 120? (2TB devices) = 600? +100?mainboard+200? cpu+400?ram+200? other stuff
                    1500? overall ;-)

yes this is definitely doable !

but you don't save money ;-)
                    Or, you could just buy 3 or 4 1 TB disks for $50 each = $200 = ?150.
                    And use that old 80486 sitting in your basement to do the processing. Might take a while to process, but with the data sitting on your disks, it doesn't NEED to be real-time.

Comment

if you encode the uncompressed datastream in realtime into h264 or WebM you need much more than just a big and fast harddrive.
                      Who said anything about realtime? The only thing you need to do in realtime is dump it straight onto a disk! You can take your SWEET time to process it!

Comment

Working...
                      X