Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Wayland Display Server & Its Protocol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is The Wayland Display Server & Its Protocol?

Phoronix: What Is The Wayland Display Server & Its Protocol?
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

you know what this description reminds me of ? "explorer".
    now i'm also afraid of Wayland anywhere outside of embedded and mobile/portable.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      you know what this description reminds me of ? "explorer".
      now i'm also afraid of Wayland anywhere outside of embedded and mobile/portable.
      As long as Wayland remain an application, you can still simply Ctrl+Alt+F4 and kill Wayland ... right?

I'm assuming Wayland is also a State Tracker?

What I want to know is what Red Hats official stance is on the project?

Comment

Two things:

How do the client apps talk to the server? is it in a way that could be over a network to a remote Wayland server if wanted? For things like ssh -X, and FreeNX...

Is the Window management/window decorations client side? If its client side, then that means Wayland users will see the same things windows users see when an app window hangs, or pops up a dialog, that being that they can't move the window.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
          Is the Window management/window decorations client side? If its client side, then that means Wayland users will see the same things windows users see when an app window hangs, or pops up a dialog, that being that they can't move the window.
          Not sure if I got the concept of Wayland right, but wouldn't a window manager take care of that? Such as Compiz?

The way I got it, Wayland + Compiz would make a complete desktop environment, or have I missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
            The way I got it, Wayland + Compiz would make a complete desktop environment, or have I missed something?
            Yes, if Compiz ran on top of Wayland.

I'm not quite in favor of Wayland - the approach is too simplicistic in my opinion. It may be usable for some kind of embedded device, or a very small desktop environment, but nowadays X.Org can be compiled into a binary small enough to run on a mobile phones, and once Wayland starts implementing some advanced features the difference will become smaller and smaller.

Some features, like network transparency, are not even possible with Wayland. This is a huge step backwards. Some other projects are also abandoning network transparency in small steps, like KDE with the new notification area, but at least there are fallbacks in place.

Maybe it would be better to just rip out all those now-unnecessary features from X.Org and streamline the protocol a bit. Most applications use a library to wrap the protocol anyways, and if the effort was coordinated with the larger distributions over an extended timeframe noone would really notice.

Comment

We have a working X.org, so it would be interesting to get info on this R&D project and not debate here how useful it is going to be in the real world for now

Comment

I'm interpreting this as an additional layer of abstraction between X and the kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  I'm interpreting this as an additional layer of abstraction between X and the kernel...
                  If X.org and Wyland both act as a State Tracker then they probably will be layers that exist next to each other andstead of stacked.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    As long as Wayland remain an application, you can still simply Ctrl+Alt+F4 and kill Wayland ... right?

I'm assuming Wayland is also a State Tracker?

What I want to know is what Red Hats official stance is on the project?
                    It was a hobbyist project done on a individual's own time and as such I don't expect Red Hat to have any official stance on it whatsoever. Said person now works for Intel now as well FYI.

Comment

Working...
                    X