Switching to ogl fullscreen mode in Eyefinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to ogl fullscreen mode in Eyefinity

I use a 3 monitor setup 3x 1680*1050 (eyefinity) with catalyst 10.8.
    Btw. it reports 10.7, how hard can it be to change a version number?
    Anyways it works fine as long as i don't try to run a full screen ogl application, if i do the application will run on one screen with a max resolution of 1680*1050. And when i exits it dose not return to a 3x 1680*1050 but remains in single head mode, until I restart x. This is with xcinerama off, but still with one singel x display (i assume FGLRX uses a propriety method similar to twin-view to achieve this). if i turn xcinerama on it works as expected with the ogl application stretching to a full 5040*1680. but i loose composing, also as expected.

Is this a bug or a unimplemented feature? I do realize that a Linux user with a tipple-head ati setup is a pretty far corner case, so im happy that it works at all.

This is on PCLOS with a default FGLRX 10.8 install from the ati installer with a hd5850.

Sometimes a wrong version number is a typo in the driver code, other times it means you didn't do a full uninstall before installing the new driver and are actually running a mix of old and new files (which can bring problems).
    Test signature

Comment

My installation of fglrx reports 10.8 as the version number. Maybe there went something wrong on the installtion.
      Try to make a clean install again.

Comment

uninsulated catalyst, clean reinstalled it after reboot and deletion of all ati files i could find with "search | grep ati". it now sayes 10.8 but the issue remains the same.

for instance sauerbraten:

Code:
        Unable to create OpenGL screen: No video mode large enough for 5040x1050
        works fine in windows and in 1680*1050

same thing goes for a short irrlicht test app i made.

Comment

There's an ancient X extension for modesetting, as simple as "get list of supported resolutions, pick one". It doesn't really understand multiple screens.

I'm not sure if there's a simple fix for the issue. There's no mechanism for defining available multi-screen modes (like TwinView does). And those cannot be automatically added, because (unlike Xinerama), XRandR doesn't have permanently defined monitor positions (like DVI-1 right of DVI-0); with XRandR those can change on the fly.

A workaround may be to run the application windowed with the desired resolution, tell your window manager to display that window alway on top and borderless.

Comment

another (somewhat) unrelated question: what makes xcinerama and composing mutually exclusive? it doesn't make sense to me, because i do have ogl acceleration on all screens in xcinerama.

Comment

Originally posted by IM back! View Post
              uninsulated catalyst, clean reinstalled it after reboot and deletion of all ati files i could find with "search | grep ati". it now sayes 10.8 but the issue remains the same.

for instance sauerbraten:

Code:
              Unable to create OpenGL screen: No video mode large enough for 5040x1050
              works fine in windows and in 1680*1050

same thing goes for a short irrlicht test app i made.
              I suspect you're bumping into the 4096x4096 limit. (which I recall to be a hardware limit on at least r600 for some size whose name I don't remember) Just a guess though.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                I suspect you're bumping into the 4096x4096 limit. (which I recall to be a hardware limit on at least r600 for some size whose name I don't remember) Just a guess though.
                Mind, fglrx might and could have a workaround for that, I honestly wouldn't know.

Comment

cant be a hardware limit on windows the same thing works fine. a big evergreen is eyefinity wich supports huge resolutions.

Comment

I meant to say: Cant be a hardware limit as on windows the same thing works fine. A big point of evergreen is eyefinity which supports huge resolutions.

damn you edit limit.

Comment

Working...
                    X