X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Your problem can be fixed with tissues.
    Thanks Captain Obvious!

No, srsly, somebody said that it worked fine but for me - it's bullcrap, so I am angry, understandable, after I wasted gazillion hours to migrate from classic mesa to gallium

Comment

I would love to use kde, IF just it wasn't so sluggish.
      I have just installed kubuntu maverick and updated my gfx drivers with latest git.

Without compositing kwin seems okay. It is not fast but okay. But if you force low power_profile you can actually see windows being redrawn when maximizing / minimizing.

With compositing kwin is slow and sluggish and you get annoyed waiting the ? sec delay for the start menu to appear. I can't describe it other than the whole gui just feels slow in both response and drawing. Well i went back to my kubuntu 10.04 installation, also with kde 4.5.1 installed, but with fglrx as the graphic-driver. A bit better, but also seem sluggish and slow.

Then I installed Ubuntu 10.10 maverick and DAMN it is fast. Maximizing / minimizing, opening new windows and basically every thing within the gui seems fast and responsive. This is with compositing. Forcing low power_profile actually doesn't change the fact that the gui still feels very fast. I can't see any difference between high or low power_profile, it just stays fast.

I have searched google for a solution on the sluggisk kwin, but didn't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        My dbus is up-to-date, unlike KDE fanbois like you i use a real distro...ArchLinux.
        Like I said, your dbus is bug ridden and needs to be updated

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
          Thanks Captain Obvious!
          No problem, sherlock

No, srsly, somebody said that it worked fine but for me - it's bullcrap, so I am angry, understandable, after I wasted gazillion hours to migrate from classic mesa to gallium
          That's understandable, but "I have nothing to say but it FSCKING SUCKS!!!!!" is going to get you nowhere but tissue comments

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            That's understandable, but "I have nothing to say but it FSCKING SUCKS!!!!!" is going to get you nowhere but tissue comments
            I just add more fuel to the discussion, coz I can't contribute much else

Comment

Guys, this is tiresome.
              Discussing problems and trying to find useful information should be the point of these forums, not bashing at devs who are providing you with free software, whether they are X devs or KDE devs or Gnome devs, nor having "mine is bigger than yours" discussions.
              These KDE vs Gnome flamewars are useless, and most people end using absurd or uninformed arguments just for the sake of "winning" de discussion.
              I'm a bit fed up having to go through pages and pages of utter crap to find the bits and pieces of people who still try to provide useful information in their posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
                I just add more fuel to the discussion, coz I can't contribute much else
                Well there's an algorithm for that:
                1. Pick your favorite: KDE or Gnome;
                2. Bash the other DE to get rid of your anger (For example: "Gnome doesn't have fallback, lol fscking FAIL DE" <- and you'd be right);
                3. Defend your DE from incomming critisism;
                4. Go back to step 2.

Comment

OK, since Templar's post was deleted, I've deleted my response too. Shame, it was quite good.

But we can get back to the topic now.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    So,if i am indeed a troll, then why are you taking the bait?
                    Not everything what you're writing is trolling.

But i am not a troll in reality, i just happen to critize your beloved KDE and you as an original fanboi(tm) can't stand that...
                    As a fanboi you're criticizing KDE while Gnome is much worse in this. KDE doesn't have to depend on compiz to provide compositions (even if this is not perfect for everyone, but it's supported and works right now). Current stable Gnome releases doesn't offer compositions (maybe you can tweak some configuration option, so Metacity will use compositions, but it's not the same). You have to use compiz.

Of course GNOME is developed by volunteers, as most opensource projects. The difference of GNOME is that it doesn't push untested volunteer work to users, like KDE does...
                    No, it's not true at all. It's tested thus kwin developer had to use some workarounds.

GNOME could be cutting edge too you know, if GNOME's devs had KDE's mentality...
                    Gnome is cutting edge in Gnome world. The things about Gnome usability, stability are just myths. I used Ubuntu and I just don't like how things look out there. I was really confused. I suppose Windows users will feel much better using KDE then Gnome. Maybe if I was an OS X user I would prefer Gnome, but it's not so usable as some people are saying. Btw. Rhythmbox would be a very good player, but it has messed up playlist. However, there are few apps which just rock - Inkscape, GIMP and Pidgin (sadly, replaced by something called Empathy). Gnome is also gaining more features and this is something I like too.

Spin it as you like, but to push the untested work of a simple volunteer to the public, is not the policy of a serious project...
                    But it's not like this. Kwin dev even decided to turn compositions off on some hardware which could introduce problems. In my opinion the only untested things here are the graphic drivers. However, kwin dev should use current graphic stack in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      However, there's something that doesn't make much sense to me here: stable Linux distributions such as the one he's using will never get the KDE versions being developed now. He is coding stuff that will only be released in...2 years time, relying on the graphics capabilities of...2 years ago. Again, I won't demand anything from his free time, but given the reality of the graphics stack development, this sounds really wrong.
                      This is great point. The features he's complaining can be present and work as supposed in the latest stable graphic stack.

Comment

Working...
                      X