Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD vs NVIDIA drivers, that big difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glaucous View Post
    Well you were sort of right, the performance in Unigine Heaven did give some more sense making results.

NVIDIA GTX 260
    FPS:
    Scores:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

ATI HD 4870
    FPS:
    Scores:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

Unigine Heaven settings:
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    ./bin/Heaven_x64    -video_app opengl \
                        -sound_app openal \
                        -extern_define RELEASE \
                        -system_script heaven/unigine.cpp \
                        -engine_config ../data/heaven_2.1.cfg \
                        -console_command "gl_render_use_arb_tessellation_shader 0 && render_restart" \
                        -data_path ../ \
                        -video_fullscreen 1 \
                        -video_mode -1 \
                        -video_width 1680 \
                        -video_height 1050
    I'm about to do some more testing on Wine now.

Actually, I ran a few tests to see about performance on linux with a radeon 5770... here's the script i used to launch the program:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    ./bin/Heaven_x64	-video_app opengl \
    					-sound_app openal \
    					-extern_define RELEASE \
    					-system_script heaven/unigine.cpp \
    					-engine_config ../data/heaven_2.1.cfg \
    					-console_command "gl_render_use_arb_tessellation_shader 1 && render_hdr 8 && render_srgb 1 && render_restart" \
    					-data_path ../ \
    					-video_fullscreen 1 \
    					-video_mode -1 \
    					-video_width 1920 \
    					-video_height 1200\
    					-video_multisample 0
    Note: Change video_multisample param is to control Anti-Aliasing... where 0= off, 1=2xAA, 2=4xAA, 3=8xAA.

Test Run with Tessellation off and 0xAA:

Test Run with Normal Tessellation and 0xAA to 8xAA:

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
      afaik the only distro I saw or experienced this on was Ubuntu
      Same on Fedora.

Comment

Code:
        [nanonyme@confusion ~]$ glxgears
        Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
        approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
        302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.202 FPS
        300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.992 FPS
        301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.008 FPS
        What it's supposed to look like if glxgears if "display is synced to vblank" like glxgears.c says.

Comment

ps. Display is 60Hz

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            the tesselation unit in hd2000-4000 isn't openGL4 compatible and this oldstyle trueform tesselation unit in 2000-4000 is just broken for unigine in generall.

your talking isn't so smart because in unigine2 nvidia is the clear winner because the benchmark is 100% nvidia focused.

the hd6870 will have a very fine tesselation unit ;-)
            hopefully

and that will blow Fermi out of the water with even less power consumption

Comment

Power consumption? How well does power consumption work on ATI cards? Is it working close to the same as Windows? I believe it's not so great when using open source drivers, correct?

My point is, you're making compromises left, right and center, aren't you? So, when you bash Nvidia for power, I am wondering if it at least works since you're using the dreaded blob?

I think power consumption is pretty important, just as much as some other features you' want and this is especially true for laptop users. But, nowadays, video manufacturers are trying to boast having the best with the latest and greatest so you want good power efficiency with your card and for it to work.

If it works with the ATI binary but then you want to use the open source driver, what do you do?

Comment

Too late for me to edit? I just went to the Radeon Feature Matrix page.

So, under Power Saving, those show it's supported so I guess this indicates support, right? So, you Evergreen owners figure it's working well?

Looks like 3D is in need of the most progress, then? Also, HA and video decoding which looks like it may never get there.

Comment

What is HA ?
                  Test signature

Comment

HA = hardware acceleration... I was feeling lazy towards the end?

I've since noticed from the phoronix thread that it's in progress or is that assumption incorrect? So, I'll even take that last bit back and just leave it at hardware decoding being left (for major work needed)?

Anyway, just interesting state of things with HD 5xxx cards so I'm debating between GTS 450 and HD 5750/5770 right now.

Comment

Hardware Acceleration on Evergreen/HD5xxx is almost at the same level as 6xx/7xx, with the caveat that acceleration is only supported when running with KMS. As of yesterday there were known issues related to mipmap support and stencil buffer handling.

Andre just committed a fix related to lodbias (lodbias affects which level of the mipmap is selected when texturing), not sure how much of the mipmap issue that addreses. Looks like the fix should get rid of some unpredictable behaviour, so at worst it will probably make the remaining issues easier to diagnose and fix.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X