Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 2.90.7 Released, Drops DirectFB Support

Phoronix: GTK+ 2.90.7 Released, Drops DirectFB Support

While GNOME 3.0 has been delayed to next March, the development releases towards version 3.0 of the GTK+ tool-kit continues in a steadfast manner. After the last GTK+ 3.0 snapshot a few weeks back that ported most of the GTK+ drawing to use Cairo, GTK+ 2.90.7 has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this affect any efforts to build an OS on the latest Linux and GTK 3 and just *not support X11*? I know there are experimental OSes out there, like ReactOS and the Amiga OS clone, but if there's something radical that's actually going to work itself back into Ubuntu, I might be interested.

Do any GTK3/Wayland/Linux-KMS distributions currently exist?

Comment

No, and no.

DirectFB is unmaintained in GTK+ because nobody really uses it anymore. DirectFB is a lot less interesting in today's KMS/GEM/TTM/DRI2 world. What DirectFB still offers is less interesting than just using a tiny X server (e.g. kdrive) or Wayland.

Wayland is not the basis of any (usable) distribution because Wayland itself is still too young. It's more of an alpha/demo technology right now than a ready-to-use product.

Comment

One thing I occasionally still use directfb for is Links2 if I want to look something up while installing or working on a system without a functioning xorg server.

It sounds like an interesting project, too bad there's such little interest in it.

Comment

Looks like they still have a big wiki page on it http://www.directfb.org/wiki/index.p...TK_on_DirectFB

Comment

To note: "people I've talked to"

That doesn't constitute following the proper channels before you remove a component in a software project.

http://www.directfb.org/index.php?path=Main%2FContact : has several contacts that may be unaware of the removal.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
              http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-deve.../msg12231.html

To note: "people I've talked to"

That doesn't constitute following the proper channels before you remove a component in a software project.

http://www.directfb.org/index.php?path=Main%2FContact : has several contacts that may be unaware of the removal.
              If you follow that thread you might notice that the backend has now been restored (in gtk+-2.22) and is working much better than it has in a long time.

So one could argue that the decision to remove it actually had a positive effect on DirectFB

Comment

Originally posted by nzjrs View Post
                If you follow that thread you might notice that the backend has now been restored (in gtk+-2.22) and is working much better than it has in a long time.

So one could argue that the decision to remove it actually had a positive effect on DirectFB
                your referring to this I assume ?

"GTK+ 2.90.7 released
                Matthias Clasen
                Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:58:24 -0700

GTK+ 2.90.7 is now available for download at:

ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/2.90/

ff8bff6a422c3e8dadfc4bc1448d5e63b1de0a244eb51a8edd 33cfe6f06cc2aa gtk
                +-2.90.7.tar.bz2
                3ea3f176ae260a69eb1404ccae62e8839991213590b032fe3f ca24777b883dfc gtk
                +-2.90.7.tar.gz

This is the a development release leading toward 3.0.

Notes:

* GTK+ 3 will be parallel installable with GTK+ 2.x, and
                this release has been prepared to test this by renaming
                all .pc files, libraries, include paths, and so forth,
                to include a '3.0' component."
                "* The directfb backend has been removed
                ...."

well there was also this

"GTK+ 2.21.8 released
                Matthias Clasen
                Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:04:26 -0700

GTK+ 2.21.8 is now available for download at:

ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/2.21/

f17ce48b3a896dc35bf70f22a18c868d06fca526f024396473 e227ea30c32cc8 gtk
                +-2.21.8.tar.bz2
                4c2acf5798efa9e85efdd785bf73e2d80661bae025a22dfd9c 319cd9a4e384b8 gtk
                +-2.21.8.tar.gz

This is the last development release leading toward 2.22.

Notes:

* GTK+ 2.22 is planned to be the last stable GTK+ 2.x release,
                to be released in parallel with GTK+ 3. It will not receive
                major feature work beyond API additions that are required
                to facilitate porting to GTK+ 3...."
                ...."
                * Win32:
                - Fixes to the MS Windows theme engine

* Directfb:
                - Many fixes
                ...."

SO GTK+ 3.0 will Not support Directfb, only 2.22 stable at best when that arrives.

your only hope seeing a no Companies have steped up to become official Directfb maintainers for this GUI libray it seems is some ordinary joe/guy called Lionel Landwerlin

"For those who care, I started to hack/fix on the GTK+ DirectFB backend
                about 4 months ago. I needed to build WebKit for a Set Top Box which
                only provided a frame buffer driver. Before that, I already wrote a
                couple of DirectFB drivers who worked on top of proprietary drivers (not
                the usual frame buffer) still for Set Top Box.

Regards,

--
                Lionel Landwerlin"

so that probably screws up that AROS http://www.sand-labs.org/aros/changeset/1456 mentioned above and E-UAE on any GTK+ 3.0 release

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                  SO GTK+ 3.0 will Not support Directfb, only 2.22 stable at best when that arrives.
                  Yip, that was exactly what I was saying. The removal of DirectFB support in gtk+-3.0 prompted the merging and improvement of DirectFB support in gtk+-2.22

Glad we all agree.

Comment

Working...
                  X