rv740 - 4770 kms still not working ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rv740 - 4770 kms still not working ?

I was wondering if there is a way to get kms working with rv740. Prerequisites for radeon-KMS according to www.x.org. are achieved but...
    Currently I had not success, background with moving cursor mouse is the best I could achieve.
    I remembered to have partial succes (when 2.6.34 was out) but with display hangout every time I was moving a window or even the mouse cursor; then I've wait till today but things seems to get worse.

So there is something I'm missing or maybe all the efforts goes to the r600g driver and this one will make the card works in a proper way ?

Is there a bug ticket open for your problem ? It's possible the devs are not seeing your issue and will need help to repro the problem.

At first glance this does not sound like a mesa problem (unless you are running a GL compositor) so 600c vs 600g should not be a factor.
    Test signature

Comment

Your card should be working just fine.

Do you get native-resolution console while booting? This would mean that modesetting is working properly.

Which window manager are you trying to run? What happens when you start X in the failsafe mode (xterm), or with twm? Maybe a window manager's effects (compiz, E17, KWin...) are not playing nice with the drivers?

Comment

With no quiet option I've got not the native resolution as booting (dmesg log), does it means kms not ok ? (I'm using xorg edger ppa but is the same without)
        I'm currently using gnome with metacity.
        I've just tried twm, I can log only if I kill X to come back to log screen (gdm) but glxgears give me only a black box, no wheel; and every time I open a window it is keep as background component...
        Any clue ?

Comment

Can you pastebin your dmesg output and xorg log ?
          Test signature

Comment

My pastebins:

Xorg.0.log
            Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

dmesg
            Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

dmesg

Xorg.0.log

PS: Concerning the native resolution console; it begins with non native and ends with native resolution.

Comment

2.6.34 seems ok

As I said in my first post 2.6.34 had kind of work for me before so I've tested the last 2.6.34 maverick kernel from the ubuntu mainline kernels, and it seems to work.
                glxgears reports +/- 2100 frames in 5s; so far from the monitor refresh rate...

I've search for bug like mine and the nearest seams to be:

So, 2.6.35 kernel bug's?

Comment

For what it's worth, my 4770 works perfectly (as in not having show-stopper bugs, at least) on Fedora, and has for the last two releases and through Rawhide with only a few annoying bugs early on during Fedora 12's pre-releases. That is, it's worked through 2.6.32 (iirc) through 2.6.36. Specific model is a Sapphire 100277L.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    For what it's worth, my 4770 works perfectly (as in not having show-stopper bugs, at least) on Fedora, and has for the last two releases and through Rawhide with only a few annoying bugs early on during Fedora 12's pre-releases. That is, it's worked through 2.6.32 (iirc) through 2.6.36. Specific model is a Sapphire 100277L.
                    Mine is sapphire too, only 2.6.34 give me kms ok. I agree with precedent post that the problem is not with mesa itself but with kms.

My problem seems specific, graphics card related or even motherboard related in interaction with kernel specificities (what change in kms/drm between 2.6.34 and 2.6.35 : powerplay... I don't know). So no hope for me, I'm stuck with 2.6.34.

Thanks elanthis; when I've got time I will give a try to Fedora; but you know I've got to test debian first (I'm very impatient to configure my Sources.list).

Comment

Working...
                    X