Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XRender on ati catalyst

Hello,

I own HD 5770 card, and run latest catalyst drivers, 10.8 (ati control center reports 10.7 but i do have tesselation in unigine demo etc.) - and debian squeeze as OS.

Now that firefox 4.0b5 came out it appears that Xrender is not accellerated.

http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/ - i get 5fps here, for comparison my wife gets 60fps using nvidia binary.

Under windows i get 90fps, yet i cant seem to find any way to break the 5fps barrier under linux with or without compiz.

Is there anything that can be done? Should i enable something specific in my xorg.conf ?

you need catalyst 10.8 (which you have) with opengl es 2.0

and enable: webgl.enabled_for_all_sites;true

unfortunately it doesn't seem to be supported yet in linux

I get an average FPS of 10 (max 23)

it's not using XRender but opengl afaik

XRender is pretty slow on catalyst / fglrx

I get on average 30 FPS with chromium 7

Comment

its not webgl - mozilla guy on reddit said it uses xrender to accelerate stuff - but some webgl tests are slow for me too.

i get 90fps on same hardware under windows - on linux with nvidia blobs my wife gets 60 fps

Comment

I see - thanks for that information

then it's to be expected that it's slow:

you tried the XRender-backend under kde 4 for compositing and compared it with nvidia ?

then you'll know that XRender is really really slow with catalyst/fglrx

@bridgman:

could you please give the devs a little poke to improve that ?

Comment

Originally posted by ergo View Post
          Hello,

I own HD 5770 card, and run latest catalyst drivers, 10.8 (ati control center reports 10.7 but i do have tesselation in unigine demo etc.) - and debian squeeze as OS.

Now that firefox 4.0b5 came out it appears that Xrender is not accellerated.

http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/ - i get 5fps here, for comparison my wife gets 60fps using nvidia binary.

Under windows i get 90fps, yet i cant seem to find any way to break the 5fps barrier under linux with or without compiz.

Is there anything that can be done? Should i enable something specific in my xorg.conf ?
          well in my experience with catalyst 10.1-.8 and my 4850x2 i can say xrender is freaking trully slow (measure is visual based on xrender composite vs radeon driver).

on the other hand if catalyst glES is based on their opengl library, well you can expect a gazillion of render artifacts/slowness/wrong color mapping/texture corruption/hangups/packs of kernel oops/bugged tesslation(not tested by me but already reported in several threads)/buggy glsl implementation(try kde 4.5.1 and you will see your xorg crying in the logs or the kernel oopsing like there is no tomorrow). so im not so sure you wanna use glES 2.0 just yet in your browser with catalyst(oc if websurfing is an important task for you)

if you are only testing the beta of firefox then install the debug symbols and use debugging for glES(not sure how to turn it on btw) and keep chromium around with ati bug reports site cuz things could get nasty

on the other hand if you have an old nvidia card or an old radeon r300 you can try it with mesa glES mesa/gallium and check that out

Comment

My understanding was that XRender *was* accelerated with the new 2D accel code, will try to find out. Weren't there some XRender-based benchmarkes published here a while back (comparing open vs Catalyst 2D performance) ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              My understanding was that XRender *was* accelerated with the new 2D accel code, will try to find out. Weren't there some XRender-based benchmarkes published here a while back (comparing open vs Catalyst 2D performance) ?
              well it would make sense that catalyst 2d should be faster but maybe kde is using some xrender options not accelerated or slow memory mapping or maybe even some fallbacks to XAA for some reason?

is there an fast way to debug catalyst 2d? to check for fallbacks?

Comment

I guess the first thing I would do is check to see which Render hooks were pointing to driver code and which (if any) were still pointing to software rendering code in the X server... then hook those locations and see which ones were being called and how often.

Not like I remember how to do that or anything...
                Test signature

Comment

to clarify - i run Gnome not KDE - and all i want is to have decent performance of this page:

On reddit some folks with intels reported 30 fps

maybe something is wrong with my xorg - i use the initial one that fglrx sets up and i should enable some option.

It didnt matter so far to me - but atm it makes sense to have this feature because it makes a big difference when it comes to browsing.

Comment

Geez that page takes a long time to load on dial-up... what is it doing, downloading the entire internet so you can scroll through it ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X