Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tentative Schedule For XDS 2010

Phoronix: A Tentative Schedule For XDS 2010

For those interested in the X Developers' Summit (XDS) that is taking place next week at a tobacco factory in France, a tentative schedule has now been published by Matthieu Herrb for the 50 or so people that will be participating in the summit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it would be sweeeet to see people and their slides this time.
    anyway, why X-people don't have their own camera preinstalled at beginning and all sound captured from mike ? this is, after all, pretty serious stuff and they going on great length, literally, to attend.

Comment

I would like to politely request that the videos be made available in an open format such as Vorbis+VP8, Vorbis+Theora or Vorbis+Dirac. They need not be embedded, you could simply provide them as a torrent if you don't have the bandwidth and/or don't want to fiddle with HTML 5 video. But either way, please make them available in a format that Linux users--your primary audience--can use easily AND legally.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        I would like to politely request that the videos be made available in an open format such as Vorbis+VP8, Vorbis+Theora or Vorbis+Dirac. They need not be embedded, you could simply provide them as a torrent if you don't have the bandwidth and/or don't want to fiddle with HTML 5 video. But either way, please make them available in a format that Linux users--your primary audience--can use easily AND legally.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.
        Videos will probably be in Flash. There might be an open format available to Phoronix Premium members only.

Audio streams *might* come in an Ogg Vorbis flavor, but I haven't decided yet.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Videos will probably be in Flash. There might be an open format available to Phoronix Premium members only.

Audio streams *might* come in an Ogg Vorbis flavor, but I haven't decided yet.
          If you provide them in open format, then I will become Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            But either way, please make them available in a format that Linux users--your primary audience--can use easily AND legally.
            Using flash does allow it to be used legally even by MPEG-LA standards.

Comment

Why not simply youtube, then you can get webm too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Why not simply youtube, then you can get webm too.
                Little short for hosting longer videos unless you want to chop them up into smaller 15 minute segments.

Comment

A very serious request:
                  Please, in total, film the newby presentation and post it somewhere on FreeDesktop.org! That would help us all. Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  If you provide them in open format, then I will become Premium.
                  FLV format is Open Source and while patent ridden, you can can play them with free software codecs. Simply install VLC media player (or something else that works too) and download the .flv to your computer. Downloading can for example be done with a simple flv downloader plugin in, say, Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    A very serious request:
                    Please, in total, film the newby presentation and post it somewhere on FreeDesktop.org! That would help us all. Thanks in advance

FLV format is Open Source and while patent ridden, you can can play them with free software codecs. Simply install VLC media player (or something else that works too) and download the .flv to your computer. Downloading can for example be done with a simple flv downloader plugin in, say, Firefox.
                    Ok, you just dissuaded me

Comment

Working...
                    X