NVIDIA Puts Out A Major Beta Linux Driver Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    Yeah, but there's no fundamental difference, so it's not *a lot*. VDPAU surfaces can be reused by CUDA. Also, I'd rather use OpenCL.
    Well it saves me a hell of a lot of work when making my app platform independent.

Comment

I tested the driver on 3 cards, 8800 GTS 512, GT 22?, Ion Le, on the Ion Le it broke vainfo. Maybe Nvidia should update it soon...

Comment

Pffft, who needs vainfo when you have vdpau support everywhere.

Comment

Your logic is fantastic. Of course vainfo (from the vaapi package) is using a wrapper called vdpau-video which then uses vdpau. You need that when you want to use vlc and video accelleration. You can expect when this tool does not work then vdpau does not work.

Comment

The updated OpenCL (1.1) support also seems to be a bit premature (my code crashes, at least). But hey, it's the first beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Your logic is fantastic. Of course vainfo (from the vaapi package) is using a wrapper called vdpau-video which then uses vdpau. You need that when you want to use vlc and video accelleration. You can expect when this tool does not work then vdpau does not work.
              Who uses VLC? In all seriousness though, vlc is not the "must have" video player app that it once was. In fact, just because it has to use a wrapper was reason enough for me to stop using VLC in favor of apps that support vdpau (and seem to be a lot more stable then vaapi wrapper solutions).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Who uses VLC? In all seriousness though, vlc is not the "must have" video player app that it once was. In fact, just because it has to use a wrapper was reason enough for me to stop using VLC in favor of apps that support vdpau (and seem to be a lot more stable then vaapi wrapper solutions).
                To me it's the best point in time to use VLC on Linux now that it has become so much better with the 1.0 and then 1.1 release, critical bugs that bothered me have all been fixed, so to me you sound so funny, totem is crap to me and mplayer and the likes suck to me for different reasons.

Comment

No RandR1.2? Am I asking too much?

Dear Nvidia Developers (someone said you read this forum),

Releases come, releases go and no RandR1.2 (should it be 1.3 today?) support. I'm reading since 2006 that "it will be implemented soon". If it is too much difficult, how about adding some of its stuff using a special metamode syntax?

A lot of people asks for single display rotation in TwinView. I can't imagine why this is so difficult to implement. A new metamode syntax could help:

"1280x1024 ..." Screen normal
                  "1280x1024N ..." Screen normal
                  "1280x1024R ..." Screen rotated to right
                  "1280x1024L ..." Screen rotated to left
                  "1280x1024I ..." Screen rotated to inverted

I know you can do it as you do in Windows. Isn't the driver >90% shared with Windows anyway?

Nouveau can do the job flawless but its 3d support is not fully functional.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    To me it's the best point in time to use VLC on Linux now that it has become so much better with the 1.0 and then 1.1 release, critical bugs that bothered me have all been fixed, so to me you sound so funny, totem is crap to me and mplayer and the likes suck to me for different reasons.
                    smplayer works fine here for viewing single video's better then vlc, totem is crap I agree, but any xine-lib player is fine as well with vdpau support and for HTPC use you can't beat XBMC or MythTV and they both work fine with vdpau. I really see no need for VLC, other then using it for a streaming server and that you don't need any acceleration for. Couldn't bare having to depend on gstreamer and totem, ewww.

Comment

It has nothing directly to do with vlc, when vainfo (which works with every other gfx card) does not work then vdpau can not work too. It is just a very simple test which shows the codecs which are supported.

Comment

Working...
                      X