Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Sandybridge Graphics On Linux

Phoronix: Intel's Sandybridge Graphics On Linux

Back in February we reported on the first signs of open-source support for Intel's Sandybridge, a.k.a. their sixth-generation Intel graphics processor integrated on their upcoming CPUs that succeed the Clarkdale/Arrandale CPUs. The Sandybridge hardware still has not launched nor will it until late this year or early next year, but the open-source support has been underway for months and from time to time we see new Linux code patches related to Sandybridge...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If all there is to it are these PCI ids, expect backports to virtually all 2010H2 distros...

Comment

What is sad is that since mesa is still OpenGL 2.1, Sandybridge graphics experience with Linux will be more limited than on Windows for quite some time...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        What is sad is that since mesa is still OpenGL 2.1, Sandybridge graphics experience with Linux will be more limited than on Windows for quite some time...
        Why, does Sandybridge support OpenGL 3.x on Windows? In short, who cares? It's not as if you'll be doing any serious 3d gaming on this chip.

Comment

Seems kinda ontopic, so here we go:
          I recently got a Laptop with Intel Core i5 processor and the integrated Intel GMA HD graphic (alongside with a ATi HD5650, but I'm not using that one in Linux).
          And I've got to say I was expecting much more in terms of driver-support from Intel. I always thought Intel graphics were supposed to be the ones with the best foss-driver around, but so far my experince is that their drivers suck balls. KWin-compositing/2D is barely fast enough for desktop use, but flash-videos are choppy and in full-screen they almost lock up the system. Also HoN and some other games I've tried simply don't work.
          All in all I've had a _much_ more pleasant linux experience with my old and trusty ATi X1900XT. But the Intel-gpu is still relatively young, so I guess there's still hope. Though as it looks like Intel is not going to switch to Gallium3d anytime soon, so performance will probably stay abyssimal for the foreseeable future.

Comment

You can enable vaapi support for h264, which is still in the early stages, but maybe somebody could convince Adobe to add vaapi support to flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              but maybe somebody could convince Adobe to add vaapi support to flash.
              Uh huh, I hope I win the lottery too.

Comment

When Steve Jobs says that h264 is not accellerated in videos then you get 2 weeks later video accelleration... Just for Linux there is no Steve Jobs - but i think for Android it already works too.

Comment

So are all of these (even the Xeons) going to have an integrated GPU? Seems like a bit of a waste potentially at the cost of more heat if you ask me. I can think of better things you could be doing with those transistors.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    When Steve Jobs says that h264 is not accellerated in videos then you get 2 weeks later video accelleration... Just for Linux there is no Steve Jobs - but i think for Android it already works too.
                    Ya well it still runs like crap on android.

I'm the last person on earth who wanted to believe Steve Jobs when he told Walt Mossberg at D8 that "Flash has had its day." I took it as nothing more than showmanship when Jobs shared his thoughts on...

Comment

Working...
                    X