Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linux Demo For Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Phoronix: A Linux Demo For Amnesia: The Dark Descent

A month ago we reported that the Amnesia game was getting ready for a Linux release and now the Swedish developers behind this game, known properly as "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" have released a demo of the game. Frictional Games has released this demo for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Already ordered one. Thanks for a plug.
    Rob
    email: [email protected]

Comment

Runs like a champ on my system (Phenom II x4 965, GeForce GTX460 1GB) with all options maxed. The game looks beautiful in all its dark, twisted, and unsettling glory, and the visual effects are great. Much of the awesome atmosphere of the Penumbra games was created through masterfully implemented audio and Amnesia doesn't disappoint in that department either. The audio effects are quite good, the ambient effects quite haunting, and the narration is quality.

I preordered this game months ago when the preorder first started. Just a few days left until I get to enjoy the full game in all its glory. From what I got to play in the demo this game is going to be straight up terrific. I can't wait to be scared out of my mind

Comment

Hmm the texures in that vid look sooo 1998!

Comment

Works and runs on r300g - except that everything is upside down

Comment

Hmm...definitely excited about this game, but I can't get it to run. The game installed ok, and the launcher runs fine. When I click "Launch Game" the screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop.

When I ran the launcher from the terminal, it crashes with:
            Code:
            X_ChangeProperty: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 0x0
            eokiahn@desktop:/opt/AmnesiaDemo$ bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            Tried killing PulseAudio, ensured Bluetooth services are running, but it still crashes. Disabled Compiz and it still occurs. Running Ubuntu 10.04 32bit, NVIDIA 7800GS, binary driver version 256.52.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by eokiahn View Post
              Hmm...definitely excited about this game, but I can't get it to run. The game installed ok, and the launcher runs fine. When I click "Launch Game" the screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop.

When I ran the launcher from the terminal, it crashes with:
              [...]

Is this happening to anyone else?
              The game seems to need write access to some files in the install directory. So either run it as root (bad) or chmod/chown the files so your user can write them.

Comment

runs great on my laptop. 2ghz core2 duo, gf 9600m gs, ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.
                everything on a little higher than medium settings runs fluidly here. looks pretty good, even on medium settings.

i played the full demo and, oh man.
                haha

hopefully going to buy it shortly after release.

Comment

Any mainstream media coverage?

I sent a tip to kotaku.com about Oilrush some days ago and I have sent another one today about this demo. If they don't say a word about these games I'll be very pissed at them. Any of you know of big video game sites covering them?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
                    I sent a tip to kotaku.com about Oilrush some days ago and I have sent another one today about this demo. If they don't say a word about these games I'll be very pissed at them. Any of you know of big video game sites covering them?
                    IGN has a review of the game up on their site. They gave the game a score of 8.5/10 "Great".

Comment

Working...
                    X