Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 6000 Detailed Specs

Full photo gallery of HD68X0-graphics cards: http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/salassap...6870#kommentit

From Finnish HW-website AMD will release new HD6850-cards on Friday!

ps. Sry bad english

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I was under the impression that the other guys used scalar processors (aka "1D"), not 4-wide or 5-wide VLIW ("4D" / "5D").
    ok thank you. ok i'm wrong on that part

good to read your post here.

i think the nvidia-focused games are the source of the bad 5D shader usages in games and the basic point of my writing is amd cuts of his 5D shders because of nvidia not because its the better way its just more the nvidia way.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    There's nothing wrong in adapting one's product to suit the market, if you can't change the market or if there is a better alternative. Persisting on doing things that don't gather much interest would be much worse. Like if AMD CPUs only had 3DNOW and no SSE that has proven to be much more popular. Or if Intel didn't add L3 cache to its cpus just because that was already done by AMD and other cpu makers before.
    right there is nothing wrong.

its just a shame that amd allways lose this kind of fight

back in 1998 amd ad SIMD 3dnow unit... intel don't get the 3dnow no they do there own SIMD unit called SSE and go on the market 1 year later

now amd drop 3dnow and payes money to inte for SSE

same on the GPU market the r600 architecture was 5D awesome and nvidia shot the market down with an crappy 1D architecture.

best exampel is the tesselation unit ati do have this kind of technik back in time of the 'radeon 8500' and now 10 years later nvdia benefit from this ati techniue

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    back in 1998 amd ad SIMD 3dnow unit... intel don't get the 3dnow no they do there own SIMD unit called SSE and go on the market 1 year later
    3dnow is an ISA extension, not a new functional unit. SSE was a new ISA and was implemented with a new functional unit. Anyway, same story again with SSE5/AVX. AMD invented the REX prefix, why didn't they think about a more sensible prefix, as AVX's VEX prefix? AVX is good for x86 but a vast copy of VMX or VSX.

now amd drop 3dnow and payes money to inte for SSE
    I wouldn't be surprised if the other way around happens too.

same on the GPU market the r600 architecture was 5D awesome and nvidia shot the market down with an crappy 1D architecture.
    I am not sure the NVIDIA architecture is fully scalar. Some recent patents mention SIMD. Anyway, nobody can really be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    I am not sure the NVIDIA architecture is fully scalar. Some recent patents mention SIMD. Anyway, nobody can really be sure.
    Yeah, the distinction here is between SIMD/scalar and SIMD/vector or SIMD/VLIW. Most GPUs process multiple pixels or vertices in parallel (SIMD), but some work on a single component of each pixel/vertex per instruction (scalar) while others work on >1 component per instruction (typically 4-vector or VLIW).

35% more performance per mm˛ what a fake

fake because if someone build 5D shader code for an 5870 the old card do have 20% more shader power

and the rest 35-20=15% are only the nvidia tesselation feature 1 triangel per pixel VS 1 triangel per 32 pixel

so the 35% are only true on PURE 100% nvidia code.

on nativ amd code the hd5870 is faster only in 1 single nvidia tesselation feature 1 triangel per pixel the 6870 is 15% faster

OK, I saw the press release go out so I *guess* we've officially launched...

The 6850/6870 *are* 5-wide VLIW just like the previous generations. Not a fake AFAIK.

Oh good, the first review is up : http://www.hexus.net/content/item.ph...=27053&page=18

That review does not really look impressive, i would say the numbering is wrong, maybe 6770 instead of 6870 would be better...

I guess it depends on what the numbers are supposed to mean. Some people think *8** means "our fastest single chip board" in which case I agree *7** could have been more appropriate. Other people think *8** implies a certain market segment or performance level, in which case the numbering is correct but we are now providing a significantly lower price point than before.

What the heck, it gives people something to argue about

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, I saw the press release go out so I *guess* we've officially launched...

The 6850/6870 *are* 5-wide VLIW just like the previous generations. Not a fake AFAIK.

Oh good, the first review is up : http://www.hexus.net/content/item.ph...=27053&page=18
    amd shoult shot there PR people in there heats

I never saw such a worst product launch

this 4D shader joke on the amd pr sheeds are not funny

and the product policy is worst to only 1gb vram to low for any mondern game to low for SSAA and much much to low for openCL

someone really shoult call 911