Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Announces Its OilRush Game For Linux

Phoronix: Unigine Announces Its OilRush Game For Linux

Back in July we reported that Unigine Corp, the company behind the advanced Unigine gaming/3D engine, was working on its own strategy game. This game was supposed to be announced by the end of July, then in private we were told it got pushed back to the middle of August, but to start off September we finally have the announcement for this new game. Unigine OilRush is the game title and it will be available for Linux. Will this be the best Linux native game we see in 2010?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ooh

I look forward to seeing this game in the Ubuntu Software Center

..seems the only way to mandate proper packaging is to offer only the packaged apps a superior distribution framework. If VALVe ignores our platform, they have left a huge evolutionary niche open. A competitor will rise-- and it may invade the niches they once dominated, some day. Didn't they learn anything from Photoshop and GIMP?

Comment

Looks pretty cool and the gameplay sounds very nice aswell!

Comment

Any pricing details?

I'm curious if it will be full-price or if they plan selling it cheap (like Croteam did with Serious Sam in some markets) to get some extra publicity?

Comment

Let us see, can open drivers run this?

Comment

Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
            Let us see, can open drivers run this?
            Depends on what you mean. It's possible to run Unigine Heaven with llvmpipe on the "floating" branch, though I doubt you would want to play a game that way

Comment

Let's burn those oil tankers !

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                I look forward to seeing this game in the Ubuntu Software Center

..seems the only way to mandate proper packaging is to offer only the packaged apps a superior distribution framework.
                Not everyone runs Ubuntu. If they had a native client, Steam would be an ideal way of distributing this game to Linux clients. I don't see a reason to install games as a *package* into my *system*, be it DEB or RPM or whatever.

Otherwise just give us a .run/.sh. Linux users that game generally either know what they're doing, or had their system setup by someone that knows what they're doing.

On the Open Drivers note, no. ATI's Open Driver doesn't have the complete OpenGL 3.2 / 4.0 specification, Nouveau doesn't provide OpenGL support -period- for many cards, and if you're running Intel you're not expecting much in the first place.

NVIDIA blob or ATI blob for best experience. Not to reanimate some of the openVSclosed debates that went on before on these forums, but right now the blobs are just more practical for a bleeding edge app like this.

Comment

Some balls naming it like that, with the spill still going and all. :P

Comment

Well hopefully ATI does not break tesselation all the time like they already did with 10-7.

Comment

Working...
                    X