KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Then why GNOME never brakes using the same versions of Xorg dbus etc?
    Personally I ran into a dbus bug under KDE which I could nothing for, though I got the reports. And the dbus call was completely valid (it was supposed to be thread-safe), now I worked around this. In some cases workarounds aren't really an option though and would cause bugs themselves.

It might be that Gnome does not use multithreading that much and thus doesn't run into crashes related to that. KRunner and Nepomuk heavily rely on multithreading that is why there were so many crashes in KRunner and Dolphin. And yeah I hated those crashes myself and deactivated Nepomuk because of that.

The user always sees the result and not the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
      One thing that really annoys me in KDE are those notifications, they take way to much space and often have a non-functional layout as it appears. Here what Ubuntu provides is a lot better in terms of preserving the space and not being annoying.
      Right click on the notification icon, deselect all notification boxes and it dissapears. Then the replacement notifications kick in Ubuntu style.

Personally I think KDE really needs more designers and usability experts. And with that I mean people who actually think their ideas through [1] and eat their own dogfood. There is nothing more infuriating than people shouting their crappy ideas from the side line and thinking it is the best thing ever, especially if you have to discuss it through why their idea sucks.
      KDE has a usability project. Also "Yellow is prettier than Green!".

@V!NCENT I have never heard of that holding back of features for 4.6 and at least I won't do.
      Aaron Seigo.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        KDE has a usability project. Also "Yellow is prettier than Green!".
        No. No matter how you look at shit it stays shit. And with this I mean some ideas, not the design. I "ran" into some ideas that were shit and would have made my program unusable. In this case people were talking who obviously never really used it.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Originally posted by mat69 View Post
        @V!NCENT I have never heard of that holding back of features for 4.6 and at least I won't do.
        Aaron Seigo.
        I haven't noticed that mail/blog post, must have overlooked it. But in any case he can mostly only speak for the projects he is maintaining.

Comment

Apparently, according to the last blog from Martin Grasslin, the main KWin developper, the current issues of KWin are caused by the fact that some drivers advertise support for some OpenGL features while not supporting it well. Added to the fact that KWin seems to be the only windows manager that uses GLSL for some effects, and that this one doesn't seem to be in a completely stable state, and that seems to explain the current problems.
          That may be one of the reasons why Gnome can be more stable for some people. Gnome seems to be much more conservative on the use of new techs. At the same time, if KDE wasn't there to push new techs to their limit, they probably would not be improved.
          Personnaly, KDE4 has been quite stable for me at least since 4.2. I find it becoming very powerful lately, and I know I don't use 25% of the desktop abilities. It has kept true to let me organize my desktop as I want, contrary to Gnome, Mac OS or Windows, and that's why I keep prefering it over anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
            Apparently, according to the last blog from Martin Grasslin, the main KWin developper, the current issues of KWin are caused by the fact that some drivers advertise support for some OpenGL features while not supporting it well. Added to the fact that KWin seems to be the only windows manager that uses GLSL for some effects, and that this one doesn't seem to be in a completely stable state, and that seems to explain the current problems.
            That may be one of the reasons why Gnome can be more stable for some people. Gnome seems to be much more conservative on the use of new techs. At the same time, if KDE wasn't there to push new techs to their limit, they probably would not be improved.
            Personnaly, KDE4 has been quite stable for me at least since 4.2. I find it becoming very powerful lately, and I know I don't use 25% of the desktop abilities. It has kept true to let me organize my desktop as I want, contrary to Gnome, Mac OS or Windows, and that's why I keep prefering it over anything else.
            I believe Mutter employs Clutter, and also Clutter's COGL (GLSL right now).
            As for the drivers, I'm on 195.36.24, and KWin, in KDE was pretty stable, but in Gnome, KWin was horrendous. Also, I don't know if KWin is aware of vsync since it has tearing issues (Mutter is the only WM I've used in Linux where I didn't experience window tearing).
            Lastly, describing Gnome as conservative is right on. It certainly strives for stability and consistency, but it also employs newer tech (such as telepathy, for instance) when it can be integrated. Of course telepathy has, thus far, been less than great in Gnome, but it is certainly improving (and as kraftman said, you can always use pidgin).
            Painting either desktop with broad-strokes does no one any good, IMHO.

Best/Liam

Comment

Working...
            X