KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The KDE hate around here is hilarious.

Debian and RedHat are STILL trying to kill it. You'd think that they'd have given up after 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
      I really wonder why such things happen. Either the packages I use have been updated with a fix or something else is borked, since I do not experience those crashes you are talking of.
      I'm using the Kubuntu packages for 10.04. KDE 4.4.x was very stable for me. There are some bugs in bugzilla, but it seems not to be a common cause, some are in dolphin, some are in the new shared data cache, some are because dbus, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
        Oh, the SC is very stable. It's just that Arch makes KDE software even more unstable than Kubuntu does. Kubuntu at least tries to fix past mistakes but Arch obviously has no interest in this....
        I am REALLY interested in what way Archlinux is doing this.

Let me quote "The Arch way":

The Arch Linux system places precedence upon elegance of design as well as clean, simple code, rather than unnecessary patching, automation, eye candy or "newbie-friendliness." Software patches are therefore kept to an absolute minimum; ideally, never. Simple implementation shall always trump simple user interface.
        Packages are built how upstream is providing them.
        Part of /var/abs/extra/kdebase-runtime/PKGBUILD
        Code:
        build() {
        	# fix already in kde 4.5.1
        	cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}
                patch -Np5 -i ${srcdir}/kded-freeze-fix.patch

cd $srcdir
        	mkdir build
        	cd build
        	cmake ../${pkgname}-${pkgver} \
        		-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
        		-DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON \
        		-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
        		-DWITH_PulseAudio=OFF
        	make
        }
        There is only a little patch that apparently is already in kde 4.5.1.

I wonder how Archlinux "breaks" this package.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          The KDE hate around here is hilarious.

Debian and RedHat are STILL trying to kill it. You'd think that they'd have given up after 10 years.
          Yeah, they really love spending $$$ on packaging all this crap, and then breaking it just a little. All in the name of killing a desktop environment for reasons of... well... who cares... they must die.

If they really wanted to kill it, they should just not package it at all. Or you know, shoot all the developers. That'll work.

Comment

No mention of KDE Pim in the release notes or changelog. Whats going on with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
              Yeah, they really love spending $$$ on packaging all this crap, and then breaking it just a little. All in the name of killing a desktop environment for reasons of... well... who cares... they must die.
              Debian is not a commercial distro, and RedHat has invested a huge amount of resources into GNOME already, which they effectively control.

They do not control KDE, although Nokia pretty much controls Qt.

If KDE dies, a few distros with a vested interest in GNOME gain control of the Linux desktop overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                No mention of KDE Pim in the release notes or changelog. Whats going on with that?
                It's in beta. But 4.4.x PIM works perfectly with KDE 4.5, so if you don't want to install a beta, use that instead.

Comment

There are some really strange behaviors when one is using the oss radeon driver... some flickers and effects not working with compositing. it's really low when the developers say they only use nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
                    There are some really strange behaviors when one is using the oss radeon driver... some flickers and effects not working with compositing. it's really low when the developers say they only use nvidia.
                    I use the OSS driver and KDE 4 looks flawless and all effects working. And it's fast too. This is with KMS. UMS broke about a month or so ago.

However, depending on what version of Mesa and xf86-video-ati you're using, you might need to disable the internal gl checks of kwin. In your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc:

Code:
                    [Compositing]
                    Backend=OpenGL
                    CheckIsSafe=false
                    DisableChecks=true
                    Enabled=true
                    GLDirect=true
                    GLMode=TFP
                    GLTextureFilter=2
                    GLVSync=false
                    OpenGLIsUnsafe=false

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                      Oh, the SC is very stable. It's just that Arch makes KDE software even more unstable than Kubuntu does. Kubuntu at least tries to fix past mistakes but Arch obviously has no interest in this....

On openSUSE 11.3 KDE SC 4.5.0 was already rock solid. I'm downloading 4.5.1 now.
                      I'm using Arch with 4.5.0 and it's stable, no crashes yet. There is a known issue with KWin's compositing and the open source ati drivers so I have compositing disabled - is that your issue? If so it's a reported driver bug not KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X